Narrowband

Starlight Xpress in AstroArt and Nebulosity headaches

Jessun

Great news, my new CCD arrived today and I'm going through the gruelling software struggle...

The bundled software does not install under 64bit Windows7, but a driver is available to download from SX website.

That downloaded the camera pops up nicely in AstroArt5 and Nebulosity 2. So far all well and good.

Trying to capture an image in AstroArt and there's absolutely nothing regardless of exposure time - just a grey frame... I attached a little thumbnail below from one 'exposure'. It does comunicate with the cam though and does download something from it, and I've followed the Help file to the best of my ability to set it up...

So, how about Nebulosity 2? Bang on this time, excellent focus help, image at least shows something:) and comes up on the screen pretty much as expected. Then I click demosaic (debayer) and guess what? Nothing... I plough through the manual and am left clueless... I just cannot debayer...

BUT between the two programs I can now capture and debayer. The debayer function in AstroArt is very simple... I was hoping that one would do all - I think perhaps they both do, but I am missing something here...

I welcome any tips from you all!

post-28991-13387770653_thumb.jpg

Three and a half hour later, and I can confirm that both programs do all of above. I fiddled around in Nebulosity and found LRGB Colour Synthesis, selcted RGB and since doing that all is fine... Not immediately obvious to me that that was the route - rather than clicking de-mosaic.

Switching to AstroArt after that not touching a single setting and all of a sudden it captures and displays beautifully. A mystery of sort, but I am happy nontheless.

Archived