Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Bins

Ian123

@John: Agree about the 15x70; the few sessions I've had with mine since I got it have been thoroughly enjoyable. I just wish they'd stopped down the field of view to 4 deg, then they'd be sharp to the edge. What do you have now?

@Ian: The central bar (I assume you mean the one that the tripod adaptor slides along) should not have any play in it -- it will be infuriating at x22! When you say the binocular rotates around the head, is the screw in the plate also rotating or is it undoing? If the former, you need to tighten it up more (if it doesn't have a tightening "butterfly", it is usually slotted for a 2p coin or similar); if the latter, be careful and maybe get into the habit of only moving to the left around the tripod, as a complete undoing of the screw may also be the complete undoing of the binocular!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@John: Agree about the 15x70; the few sessions I've had with mine since I got it have been thoroughly enjoyable. I just wish they'd stopped down the field of view to 4 deg, then they'd be sharp to the edge. What do you have now?

Don't have any big bins at the moment. Maybe I've been spoiled by the 15x70s and I want something just as good as a replacement. I certainly wouldn't mind getting another pair one day or perhaps the 10.5x70s. :)

John

The bins no longer swing on the mount, human error :)

There is a slight play in the central bar though.

Once the balance is set and the bolt tightened, in pic three in previous post, the bins do move from side to side.

Not a major issue because when mounted the bins are not really touched or moved.

Just itching to get outside and give them a view, weather is not letting up though.

keeping my out for the slighest of break in the clouds and will be straight out.

Ian

Congrats on your new BIG bins. 22x85?...............

Those be some serious big beasts. Amazing just how much bigger they are then you expect when you open them,isnt it.

How much do they weigh?. The Horizon should be well able to handle them. Its a very sturdy tripod.

Be prepared for a galaxy fest with the bins. Those faint fuzzies show up a treat in big bins.

The bins no longer swing on the mount, human error :)

There is a slight play in the central bar though.

Once the balance is set and the bolt tightened, in pic three in previous post, the bins do move from side to side.

Not a major issue because when mounted the bins are not really touched or moved.

I had this problem also with my 20x90 bins. I solved it by placing a tiny bit of card/plastic etc between the central bar and the screw.

P.S.~~~instead of raising the central bar on the tripod (as in your pics).............its better to extend the legs of the Horizon to get the bins to your observing height. The extending central bar is not that stable with bins of this size whereas the legs of the tripod are.

I bought a couple of extra plates so i can have one on my Canon 450D and another on my 70mm refractor. Both of which i mount on the 8115. Extra plates just make it easier to quickly remove bins and then mount the camera or refrac scope while observing. No messing about unscrewing the bins from the plate.

Sadly my bins dont get as much use as i thought they would. Still, its always nice to have them there as an alternative option to the scope. Some celestial objects just look so much better in bins and the stereo view is much more pleasing.

hi their, nice purchase. I have the strathspey 25x100s and horizon tripod, i can assure you that the extra aperture does make the difference when i compare to my celestron 15x70s. I have heared many people say about the central bar moving slightly mine do aswell but this does not make them unsafe or distract from the pleasure of using them. My horizon tripod is very fit for the purpose of supporting these bins and i have the central section extended very high to observe above me and never feel un-nerved doing so. You have a good set up their now just enjoy. Thats just my tuppence worth.:)

hi their, nice purchase. I have the strathspey 25x100s and horizon tripod, i can assure you that the extra aperture does make the difference when i compare to my celestron 15x70s.
(From memory), the Celestron 70mm is stopped down to an effective aperture of 63mm and the Strath 100mm to 86mm (you can verify -- or correct -- these by measuring the diameter of the exit pupils with a caliper or micrometer), so you would expect the Strath to be nearly a magnitude brighter than the Celstron, but not perceptibly brighter than the Helios Apollo 85mm.
My horizon tripod is very fit for the purpose of supporting these bins and i have the central section extended very high to observe above me
Can you observe to the zenith?

Also worth noting that the Helios 85mm is a bit heavier than the Strath 100mm.

You have a good set up their now just enjoy.
Indeed so.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The tripod does seem to handle the bins comfortably but as Steve said i think the zenith will be out of reach.

Great blue skies today so hopefully it will stay clear for a little obsrevation later.

Hi. I am an absolute beginner, and all I have done so far is to look at stars and go "nice, I would like to get a better knowledge of this". I have bee thinking about buing my first scope, but have a limited budget at the moment and don't want to blow it and then get buyers remorse. So...having read this linked post on this forum: Sky Publishing - How to Start Right in Astronomy

I thought it made a lot of sense. I have one question really, where the article says,

"For astronomy, the larger the front lenses are the better. High optical quality is important too. But any binocular that's already knocking around the back of your closet is enough to launch an amateur-astronomy career."

Well, I have dug out a pair of Nikon Travelite V 10x25 bins from the bottom of my fishing box (used to spot **** shoals in lakes), and wondered if they would be ok to start off? I intended to use some star maps and just see how I got on. I'm not expecting miracles, but also don't want to start off with bins that will put me off.

Just wondered what some of you guys that use bins though? Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks :D

Hi Catweazel, welcome firstly.

I started with 10x50 bins and then purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 150 scope which i never really gave it a chance and i got frustrated and sold it to another member (went to a loving home at least)

Went back the bins in and the FOV (Field of view) is great in bins so decided to uprade and everything is brighter and clearer in the new ones.

I think where many new observers fall down is what they expect to see when looking at the sky. Just last night i viewed M31 galaxy in Andromeda and all i could see was a slight grey smudge with a slightly brighter centre.

It's the fact i could see a galaxy 2.5 million LY away that amazes me and not really the sight you see in magazines which great spiral arms and a huge galactic centre.

So use your bins and start looking up, clear skies to you.

The Nikon Travelite V 10x25 is a smaller binocular than is normally considered ideal for astronomy, but the optics are heck of a lot better than what a lot of people are prepared to accept as "good for the price" in supposedly 10x50 binoculars that have been stopped down to around 40mm or less. That said, you will see a heck of a lot more through it than you will with the unaided eye, but you are going to struggle on faint fuzzies, (except the brighter ones).

The other upshot of having relatively good optics already is that you will most likely see, and be irritated by, the flaws in larger-but-cheaper binoculars. My advice (which is free, and worth every penny!) is to give it a try and, if you like it, start saving for a larger binocular of equivalent or better quality.

FWIW, Lucian Kemble discovered his eponymous "Cascade" with a 7x35 binocular!

Thanks for your replies Ian123 & tententerre. As you suggest, I will just give it a go with what I've got. I found this article, which was also useful:

Advice on buying and using binoculars | Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics

looks like mine are a bit high on magnification and a bit low on objective size, but hey, since I already have them, it's a cheap way to start, so mustn't grumble :)

I'll post and let you know if I manage to see anything :D

Thanks for your replies Ian123 & tententerre. As you suggest, I will just give it a go with what I've got. I found this article, which was also useful:

Advice on buying and using binoculars | Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics

You might also find the advice in the "Choosing and Using" section of my binocular web site (URL in sig) to be useful when it comes to choosing a new one (or using the one you've already got).

You might also find the advice in the "Choosing and Using" section of my binocular web site (URL in sig) to be useful when it comes to choosing a new one (or using the one you've already got).

Thanks for that! An interesting read.

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Revelation 15x70 Bins? They look a good deal at £55. Would need a tripod too though I guess.

Hi again folks,

Just thought I would update to say that I spent some of my xmas money on some Celestron skymaster 15x70 bins. I got them from Amazon for £50, and they arrived v quickly. I tried them out last night as we had a rare clear sky here. I managed to get a look at Jupiter, which seemed very bright with no surface detail, with some slight yellow/orange colour to the north east, though I coud make out the moons. Also got a look at Aldebaran & Betelgeuse, which both looked very nice bright red, but I was having problems focusing on them and keeping the bins still whilst doing it, so they looked spikey. Views of the Pliades were much improved over my 10x25 bins (not surprisingly).

Anyway, the bins had a fault, a black object inside the lens of the right tube, so I had to send them back, fingers x'ed that the replacement pair dont have any problems. :)

I decided that I will definately need a tripod with them, as they are too heavy to hold for very long. I was considering the Horizon 8115 2-way heavy tripod, which costs more than the bins :D Is this ok, or will I get away with something cheaper? I tried a cheapo camera tripod that I have, but it was way too lightweight for these beasts, and was like looking at a reflection in a pond it was so wobbly. So, any advice on tripods much appreciated!

Will report back once I get a good session with the replacement bins.

CW.

CW the Horizon is suitable for my bins so i should imagine it will be for yours.

Just a few notes: Not reaching the zenith at all and when i've located an object and locked the head it does drop so i have to locate the object at the top of view but this will be prob due to the weight of my bins.

Saying that i have only used the tripod for about an hour since i've had it due to the bloomin cloud :p

Hope the replacement bins are ok.

CW the Horizon is suitable for my bins so i should imagine it will be for yours.

Thanks for the info Ian, will think about the Horizon for sure.

Incredibly, they arrived today, which was a result! On first inspection there were no visible problems, so will give them a try a soon as the cloud breaks :p

I was considering the Horizon 8115 2-way heavy tripod, which costs more than the bins :p Is this ok, or will I get away with something cheaper?

I used to have a cheapo tripod which was (sort of) OK. Recently bought a Horizon 8115 and haven't looked back.

You also need to consider a decent binocular tripod adaptor L bracket (the supplied plastic celestron one is dire). I ended up buying a sturdy metal one from Strathspey. £6.99 well spent!

Just a few notes: Not reaching the zenith at all and when i've located an object and locked the head it does drop so i have to locate the object at the top of view but this will be prob due to the weight of my bins.

Saying that i have only used the tripod for about an hour since i've had it due to the bloomin cloud :p

With the horizon their are a few tightening screws to work with one you get used to how much tension you require you will find working with a lot easier and a pleasure. I use mine with 25x100s and dont suffer any issues or drops with it, i dont just use them for stargazing i use for plane spotting too and can set the pan on it very well for following a plane. Its just a matter of getting familiar with it.

I tried a pair of 25x100's on the Horizon 8115 and the tripod was rather overpowered by them I felt. It's much more happy with 15x70's and 20x80's. Those 100's are very hefty lumps !

Archived