Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Nottingham

youngblood

Hi everyone,

stumbled across this site by chance while trying to work out which telescope to buy...(still working on that problem)

But the posts here are proving very interesting and useful. Already dropped a query to Steve at FLO...decisions decisions !

Considering an 8" Skywatcher Newtonian as that seems to be good starting point, just a little concerned about lugging it about.

Been interested in Space and all that stuff up there since...always really. Thought it was about time to stop squinting through binos and get a scope.

Looking forward to spending many a night seeing what's on offer up there !

Cheers

Jase

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jase.

I can also recommend the 8" Newt. It's a scope that I have had for some time.

Excellent for DSO's and pretty good on the planets / moon too!

The experts here will help you spend your cash. :police:

Ant

Welcome to SGL Jase. Good luck in choosing a scope, but don't be in too big a hurry. Have some chat on the forum here first. Get a firm Idea of what type of astronomy you would like to be engaged in. One type of scope won't do everything, but there are types that will make a good fist of some of it. You have to consider Planet and lunar obs. Deep sky obs. Imaging of afore mentioned objects. Just to be sure when you do spend your hard earned brass, you get the tool for your needs. So, the motto is. Think. Ask. Think again, More questions. Then wait till Christmas. I am not a killjoy, Really I'm not. :police:

Ron. :D

Cheers all for the warm welcome,

I have around £350-450 intially...don't want to get carried away until i've got used to the scope, to be fair i'd like to see DSO's & Planets.

But I realise it isn't all gonna happen over night, I've been looking around and it seems the 8" will give me a good foundation to start from but like everything else you gotta speculate to accumulate right?

Christmas !!! I definately can't wait till christmas...Ohh no...I'm looking to buy in the next couple of weeks :police:, It's my birthday and I'm calling in all my outstanding debts...so I thought the Skywatcher scopes got descent reviews and value for money seems pretty sound...£340ish from FLO less the 10% if that still applies. Then I might have a few quid spare for other optics n stuff...(suggestions welcome)

How is the 8" for portability? I fancy taking it on camping trips and my next holiday to Scotland...(Dark skys ahoy)

Or should I consider something more compact?

Thx again all

Jase

I took my 8" dob to the May Star Party, the OTA and mount fit in the car with tons of room for stuff, could even cram a person in the back seat with it all!!

It even held its collimation, which I had fiddled with a few days before the trip.

stumbled across this site by chance while trying to work out which telescope to buy

Been interested in Space and all that stuff up there since...always really. Thought it was about time to stop squinting through binos and get a scope.

Similar story to me Jase, You will fnd this forum the most helpful and friendly there is!! (They're very good at helping to spend your money too :police:)

Bill

P.S Another Futurama fan!!! :cheers: "Welcome meatbag - bite my shiney metal......."

Afternoon,

Was looking at the 8" F5 on either the EQ5 or HEQ5...It looks like the Eq mounts are more versatile and future proof...is this correct?

In the long term I may want to play with imaging and this should allow me to do this with some extra bits n bobs right?

Cheers for the guidance chaps

Jase

Afternoon,

Was looking at the 8" F5 on either the EQ5 or HEQ5...It looks like the Eq mounts are more versatile and future proof...is this correct?

In the long term I may want to play with imaging and this should allow me to do this with some extra bits n bobs right?

Cheers for the guidance chaps

Jase

Yep.. SkyWatcher Explorer 200 on a Heq5 would get my vote then mate.

Scott

Hi all thanks for the warm welcome,

Bloxwich is near Walsall in the West Midlands, that's were I was born. Moved to Stapleford last March which is on the outskirts of Nottingham.

Almost certainly getting the Skywatcher 8" but what is the difference between the HEQ5 and the standard EQ5?

Except the obvious price difference, how would the HEQ5 be better?

Cheers

Jase

Hi all thanks for the warm welcome,

Bloxwich is near Walsall in the West Midlands, that's were I was born. Moved to Stapleford last March which is on the outskirts of Nottingham.

Almost certainly getting the Skywatcher 8" but what is the difference between the HEQ5 and the standard EQ5?

Except the obvious price difference, how would the HEQ5 be better?

Cheers

Jase

The HEQ5 is loads better. Dual drives as standard, bigger (heavier) 'scope capacity, better tracking, less wobbly etc.

Captain Chaos

Archived