Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello - complete Newbie here

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to the world of Astronomy and star gazing :icon_salut:

After years of being intrigued and wanting to do more, myself and my otherhalf have bought a joint christmas present this year, our first telescope, the Skywatcher explorer 130p.

We have our charts coming and it should all arrive Monday so we are looking forward to taking our first little steps into the world outside our own :):)

Hey, I'm a newbie too and looking at getting my first scope as I've just got some binoculars at the moment. Looked at the same scope and it looks great, let us know how you find it mate as that would be great honest review for me. Hope you both enjoy it!

Hi everyone im fuzzy,s other half and like she already said we are complerte newbies.

We will leave post often and a reveiw of the scope we have just bought and any other items we use,in the meantime any tips,advice would be greatly received as im sure the world above us is a complex and utterly confusing place to view through a telescope.

Eddy

Welcome, Fuzzy and Fuzzy's other half. The Skywatcher Explorer 130p is a very good starter scope, and gives you good detail on the majority of planets and the moon! I got it last year for Christmas, and it really got me into this hobby, though I did move up to a bigger scope later! It also provides good views of the deep sky (galaxies, star clusters, etc.), although you will need to develop your observing skills by sketching what you see, as what you see to start with is nothing compared to what you see over time! And often what you can't see now can become more obvious over time!

Whilst you have good charts, a program such as Stellarium, which can be downloaded for free will simulate the sky excatly as you would see it walking outside, and is invaluable for helping you to find objects, especially with planets. Also, look for objects M1 - M110. These are a list of objects in the sky to look for in the deep sky like galaxies, and globular clusters. The best ones to look for are the Pleiades (M45), Orion Nebula (M42), the Andromeda galaxy (M31), and M13.

Welcome to SGL Fuzzy & your other half.

Good choice of scope - have fun with it, it will show you lots of interesting things. I'd recommend ski wear for the cold winter nights (making sure you keep nice and warm when observing is essential). If you haven't got any then TKMax have a good range for very good prices :icon_salut:

Hi Fuzzy & eddy-go-lucky,

Welcome to the forum from me as well. I also had the very same scope when I started & although I didn't keep it for long, I can assure you that it wasn't because it was a bad but because once I had savoured the universe with it I quickly aperture fever & bought a bigger scope.

Its also great that the 2 of you can share this wonderful hobby together. I just wish I could meet a woman who enjoyed astronomy as much as I do.

I look forward to reading your 1st report & hearing how awesome it was!

Jeff

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies, and some great advise on things to spot and downloads there. Christmas arrived early, it was due to be delivered today, it got delivered Saturday :icon_salut: the most frustrating thing we where out all weekend arrrrr and last night and saturday night we have clear patches of sky!!!! Typical. So tonight we are setting it up and reading charts to hopefully have a clear sky to look to enjoy our first sky watch.

Enjoy your searching.

Archived