My first planet "Jupiter" !!!!!!

Ok, I know it sucks but I still think its cool! Also, I think the 4 dots are some moons but I don't know which ones

p826345448-3.jpg

Now for a real question:

What telescope/mount do I need to see the rings? I'm planning Christmas for myself =)

bah, I meant to say, how can I see the Ring of Saturn. Jupiter doesn't have rings =p

I really really want to see more of space. This is my first time seeing a moon other than our own and I really want to see more. I want to go into space and explore.

To bad we aren't there yet =(

I have seen the rings of saturn very clearly through something like a Tal refractor. As it was visual the magnification was something like 120x or 125x.

If you intend to image then you need a mount that will track and equitorial. What scope you use is not easy to say. Some start with a 150mm reflector, others go with an 80mm refractor. If a refractor then you really need to consider an ED one to reduce CA.

That is not the end of it, the mount will need motors to track and there will be adaptors to hold the camera in place. The camera will need to be able to be held open for say 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Then comes the software to stack one image on another - free on the net.

Mount wise, try for an EQ5 at least, more solid then the EQ3-2 and being stable is essential.

I think if you have achieved that just with your camera you may get a view of the rings as it is. Will only be a slight visible bulge but still obvious. For imaging of the planets if you already have a DSLR thats great but you will do better on the planets with a webcam. An EQ5 would be good to future proof yourself but I find my EQ3-2 with tracking motors is fine for planetery webcam imaging

And yes they are moons you have captured. Callisto, Ganymede, Europa and Io

I think if you have achieved that just with your camera you may get a view of the rings as it is. Will only be a slight visible bulge but still obvious. For imaging of the planets if you already have a DSLR thats great but you will do better on the planets with a webcam. An EQ5 would be good to future proof yourself but I find my EQ3-2 with tracking motors is fine for planetery webcam imaging

And yes they are moons you have captured. Callisto, Ganymede, Europa and Io

My camera can also shoot HD video and has video out.

Is this the same as a webcam?

My camera can also shoot HD video and has video out.

Is this the same as a webcam?

I dont think so. But there is one way to find out. Your image is very similar in size to what I shot recently with my webcam so it may work I guess

Stargazers Lounge - Nova's Album: Jupiter Images - Picture.

What file format does the camera use for video? you will need to convert it to AVI if its not already

Hi PBD,

Believe it or not but Jupiter actually does have a ring system, as do all the gas giants but it is comprised mainly of dust, so it is invisible to all but the largest ground based telescopes.

Once you have your 150pl you should be able to take some nice vids of Saturn & Jupiter with a webcam like this:-

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

All you need to do is to take some videos with this webcam & then using a program like registax you can stack all the good frames from your video to make a decent pic of the planets &/or the Moon.

Jeff

Top pic of Jupiter and moons.

The only way to get some detail on Jupiter without using a telescope would be to underexpose by a few stops. You would not see the moons on this pic but you would be able to photoshop the detailed Jupiter on top of the overexposed Jupiter picture with the moons.

How about a 2x converter to get closer? F number would rise, though. F5.6?

Archived