SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with my 1000D

Johnboy2011

Hi,

When using my 1000d normally, not for AP, I seem to have a problem with auto focus. I cannot take a picture by holding the button half down to focus, no problem though if I focus manually with the lens.

Have I somehow disabled a function or do you think it's a more serious problem?

(AF on the lens is switched on and I can't see a problem with the connectors)

Thanks,

John:icon_scratch:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a number if possibilities, my money is playing with the advanced setting an you've turned on rear button focusing. There's a * button top right (I think) on the rear, see if that will trigger af. If so that's what's happened. I can't remember the menu option as I've put it in my menu. However it's a very flexible

way of shooting and that's how I keep my camera.

Thanks John and Bamus. I havn't touched the advanced settings (intentionally!) for months. When the camera stopped working I was using it on the beach with gloves on and noticed I kept knocking the mode adjustment dial which seems coincidental?

When I press the * button on the rear back top right I get a message saying "this function is not selectable in the current shooting mode"?

Thanks,

John

Theres not much you can change in the custom function relating to focusing on the 1000D only really how it operates in liveview mode..

What is the focus mode set to ?

I have just dug out my 1000D and you will only get an audible focus confirmation in one shot or AI Focus modes...

Peter...

Hi,

When using my 1000d normally, not for AP, I seem to have a problem with auto focus. I cannot take a picture by holding the button half down to focus, no problem though if I focus manually with the lens.

Have I somehow disabled a function or do you think it's a more serious problem?

(AF on the lens is switched on and I can't see a problem with the connectors)

Thanks,

John:icon_scratch:

Could you try another AF lens from a friend or friendly photographic store? You could try cleaning the contacts on camera and lens, but the problem may be with the lens.

The focus mode is set to AI focus and I am in fully automatic. I am fiddling with the * button and it fired of a shot once but I can't do it again. I can't seem to get any effect with the * button. I have tried holding the shutter button half down and pressing it, full shutter button and none at all but can't get anything to happen. The lens is set to AF. Apologies for being a numpty!

It's the 450d but that function seems to be the same across all the bodies I've seen.

The only references to its use in the 1000D manual are...

AE Lock (p88) , FE Lock Flash Exposure lock (p89) and Force AF (p102) in liveview...

Might be worth resetting the camera to factory deafults by using the Clear Settings menu item (p113)...

Peter...

I have just gone through the whole pdf manual...

Dont trust the button usage diagrams in a canon 1000D manual...There's no mention of this functionality on any of the pages listed alongside the * button...

Check C.Fn9 isn't set to 1... this disables AF operation via the half pressed shutter button.. for normal operation it should be set to 0 explained on p158 of the user manual . If its set to Zerp the AE and AF functions are split half shutter button press to enable the AE and the * button is then used to focus using the AF in normal (non live view modes) - Sorry John :icon_salut::o:o

It's C.Fn10 on the 450D John...

I have just been throught the 300/350/450/500 an 7D manuals...

Peter...

:icon_salut:.. no worries Peter... if you haven't tried the * button for normal focusing... give it a try... the flexibility it provides is quite amazing... I only use the shutter button for focusing now for macro with the lens set to MF as I get focus confirm that way. It also works great for Astro, as remote shutter activation does not adjust focus, and you can then leave the lens in AF mode, works best with micro motor not USM drive lenses, as AF effectively locks the focus point.

I sit corrected lol :icon_salut:

Lol.. I have been pouring over the various canon manuals for the last hour or so...

In the problem section under the shutter wont release it list camera isnt focused as one of the causes and suggest switching the lens to MF in which case it can be releseased without achieving lock..

Peter...

Thanks for all your thoughts on this, I appreciate your time! If I manually focus I can fire the shutter no problem, I get the focus confirmed bleep. The lens is a standard 18 - 55mm and focus is set to AF. Should my next step be to change from AI focus to one shot or clear to factory settings?

Archived