Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1100D - Ha Hoover - Rosette Nebula

Deneb

Hi

This is the second image done with this camera after I self modified it. Taken 7 days ago with a Skywatcher ED80 DS without any flats, Bias or Dark Frames. 9x 5mins Subs (45 mins) @ISO 800 w/ Astronomik CLS Filter.

Rosette.jpg

Nadeem.

I think that the data is very good and the rosette looks nice. If I'm honest though, the background is very blotchy and noisy looking and there's a number of round dark circles, dust or dew?

no problem, as it was nothing serious, just to see how the camera would respond to Ha & that question has been answered now. those round circles are little bits of dust, thats the only probem with clip filters their much nearer to the sensor so their shadows are much more apparent the more further up the tube, less apparent.. Anyway decent flats will cure that problem...

The picture has been stretched enough, any more would show more distortion... as people know I love stretching my images to see how much data I can pull out of it....Otherwise whats the point if you can't show what you've captured...!

Anyway it beats waiting for clear nights just to get a decent RGB data in the UK climate...especially when you just faffing around in the dark when something is not working...

Nadeem.

no problem, as it was nothing serious, just to see how the camera would respond to Ha & that question has been answered now. those round circles are little bits of dust, thats the only probem with clip filters their much nearer to the sensor so their shadows are much more apparent the more further up the tube, less apparent.. Anyway decent flats will cure that problem...

The picture has been stretched enough, any more would show more distortion... as people know I love stretching my images to see how much data I can pull out of it....Otherwise whats the point if you can't show what you've captured...!

Anyway it beats waiting for clear nights just to get a decent RGB data in the UK climate...especially when you just faffing around in the dark when something is not working...

Nadeem.

Wow to the image and thanks for the extremely timely post! If my Baader IR filter arrives this weekend, I shall be modding my 1000D in the hopes of similar results as you have shown.

I wanted to do the full spectrum mod, just for interest, but that would have meant buying a new CLS IR cut clip filter. The added expense made me decide on the remove filter/replace IR filter mod.

Wish me luck.

P.S. I would like to thank SGL memebers for providing links and info to enable me to get the courage to perfrom this mod. Hats off :icon_salut:

Just through experience with modding, I suggest you get it as clean as humanly possible before putting the camera back together. Because if you get dust trapped between the sensor and the IR filter then its impossible to blow out. Becuase of that I ended up ripping out all the filters so I could easily clean the sesnor with a rocket blower and sensorklear pen. As you noted, it means getting a CCD CLS clip filter - but that not such a bad thing :icon_salut:

Hi Nadeem, apologies if I'm reading this wrong but the CLS filter is for LP and doesn't enhance the Ha at all?

I want to self-mod my 1000D soon and if this is the kind of Ha sensitivity achieved I shall be very happy :icon_salut:

Hi Nadeem, apologies if I'm reading this wrong but the CLS filter is for LP and doesn't enhance the Ha at all?

I want to self-mod my 1000D soon and if this is the kind of Ha sensitivity achieved I shall be very happy :icon_salut:

The CLS Clip filter is indeed for LP, but it does indicate in the product description that it does allow some emission nebula improvement to be imaged without any modification to be done on the camera. How much improvement that would be - I don't know.

But However, What Mod are you going to do ! Filter Replacement or Filter Removal. If you going to the latter, may I suggest you buy yourself a CCD CLS Clip Filter as you need a UV/IR Block in the imaging train if your going to be imaging with a refractor, as if you do not use one, you may find your stars will appear bloated, reflectors are uneffected.

If your going to replace the filter with a baader one you can get away with a standard CLS CLIP filter - these are non UV/IR blocked, as the baader replacement filter has uv/ir block already. HTH

Nadeem.

That's a great Rosette. Its on my agenda. 9x5m subs only! Thats amazing.

Like many, I did a self mod on my 350D and just removed the Canon filter. I elected to use a 2" Baader UHC-S L Booster filter which is just about a permanent fixture on the camera. So some sort of sealing but you still get a few donuts of course. But you can clean the sensor direct. The filter is essentially an LP but has IR/UV cutoff and peaks in the essential DSO bands. Note though that by removing the filter you will not be able to focus normal Canon lenses anymore.

When's the next clear night?

Simple stunning, and only 45mins!

This picture should be used to convince anybody to get their camera astro-modded.

Ste.

It did!

Just finished the Baader replacement filter mod on my 1000D. I have lovely pink images of my white wall and a test flat frame shows no signs of dust or debris in the light path, so feeling quietly confident :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived