For visual only.

Everything else being equal I would choose aperture.

Having said that the Mak takes much longer to cool down and the long focal length while good for planets and moon, might be too narrow for some deep sky objects.

What's your observing style?

To be honest, I wouldnt choose either if visual observing is your sole interest. I have a Celestron C11 and a Skywatcher 200p. The C11 has an 11 inch aperture which draws in loads of light and like the Maksutov has a long focal length.. Both great attributes for close up observing... Believe me observing the moon and planets through the maksutov you have suggested, will be amazing.... However, yes they do suffer from dewing, and take a long time to cool down... This really is a problem if you want to have a quick look at something, I should know, my C11 takes forever.... The ED70 - 80 would be a great scope particulary if you are interested in getting into astrophotography at a later stage... However solely for observing..I think you will be a little disappointed when it comes to planetry or lunar subjects. My 200p on the other hand is great... limited cooldown time, easy to set up, limited if any dewing.. great for close up...and distant observing... When it comes down to it....You really cant beat aperture... At least take a look at an 8" newtonian or dobsonian reflector before making your final decision (or bigger if you choose)

Archived