Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Hypernova

How's everybody doing for Geminids?

The moon is rising higher tonight on the peak of the Geminids, the clouds are hindering things a bit and the weather is biting cold (to me anyway), despite this I hauled myself outside and managed to spy two bright meteors in the washed-out sky. I have come back in now as I'm not really in the frame of mind for lying on the ground and getting cold but at least I have seen something of this year's shower :)

Anyone out there had any luck tonight?

The pings are fairly frequent in th states on SpaceWeather's radio detection site if you want to have a listen.

Space Weather Radio: News and information about sunspots, solar flares and meteor showers

I spotted a couple of real bright ones earlier tonight, and I'm prepared with thermals for some more later. I don't think they're due to peak until after midnight.

dipping in and out for the odd window between the clouds.... none as yet, neighbours flood light on and the moon isn't helping too much either!

saw a couple earlier, just off to bed to try a peek in the small hours. Nice clear sky at present !

Please , please, it always clouds over here for the showers.

Im hoping to see some through my glass roofed bedroom. After working outside all day in the biting wind there is no way I'm going back outside tonight. Even sat out in the hot tub the wind whistles round your ears :)

the only white balls i see falling from the sky are hail stones tonight.

Gutted ............... Much!!!

I saw two of them while getting out of the car.:)

They were slow and bright.

And im afraid thats all of the Geminids for this year, sky is all covered in clouds now.:)

Me and my son have just been out for 20 mins ... and we saw 7 each :):):)

In Peterborough...

Cheers MM

Seen about 20 ish tonight, 1 really great green like fireball with a smoky after trail.

Just seen 00:45 a bright green flash in the NE sky as I was going to bed, very short in duration, I didn't get a direct view of what it was though as the wall was in the way. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else saw this.

Just seen 00:45 a bright green flash in the NE sky as I was going to bed, very short in duration, I didn't get a direct view of what it was though as the wall was in the way. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else saw this.

I think it may have been to same one I saw. It was incredibly bright. I couldn't see it as the thin clouds hid it, but the light was so intense you could see it through them.

I have been at work all night , I kept on stopping my patrol car and having a peak when possible. I have seen three Geminids, would have liked to look for longer but duty beckoned !

Got the next four nights off so cant wait to get in some well deserved stargazing.:)

Went out about 9.45 last night and saw about 4, but the sky was really hazy, plus the moon didn't help, stayed out about an hour. Stuck my head out at midnight, and could see the moon through the cloud, but no chance of any meteors, so I went to bed.

Shame, would have loved to get a good view, but hey ho, that's life.

I spotted one bright (mag -1 to -1.5 I estimate) one yesterday shooting through Perseus. Otherwise I was too glued to the EP hunting DSOs to notice any more.

I saw the green fireball - I posted a bit of a report on the observation section. It was really impressive :)

Activity is still ongoing, just saw two bright ones in the space of two minutes whilst bringing the bike in a minute a go.

Clear tonight, but there's a steady stream of traffic going down the road which is affecting my viewing...:icon_salut:

Edited by Beulah

Saw a couple of decent flamers last night. One right overhead and nice white flame for about 2 seconds.

Just seen 5, 3 of which were really bright, in the space of 10-15 minutes! My first real Geminids!

just been out for a quick peek and saw 2 in 5 minutes. going to go back out around midnight aslong as the clouds stay away

I saw three last night - beautiful, the thin membrane between ourselves and space breached and melting space travelling aflame

I wasn't planning to observe tonight, but I just opened the front upstairs window as its clear tonight. Facing south over Rutland I just spotted three amazingly bright meteors falling over Rutland, UK within a couple of minutes. One was across Orion.

Pretty chuffed not to have to wait around for hours on end for these spectacles. I have to say, I feel really priveleged to observe these meteors this evening.

Edited by tibbs1972

I saw a bright one about an hour and a half ago. I'd just popped outside, looked up to see a whitey, yellowish one streak across the sky - nice.

Martin