Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How's everybody doing for Geminids?

Hypernova

The moon is rising higher tonight on the peak of the Geminids, the clouds are hindering things a bit and the weather is biting cold (to me anyway), despite this I hauled myself outside and managed to spy two bright meteors in the washed-out sky. I have come back in now as I'm not really in the frame of mind for lying on the ground and getting cold but at least I have seen something of this year's shower :)

Anyone out there had any luck tonight?

The pings are fairly frequent in th states on SpaceWeather's radio detection site if you want to have a listen.

Space Weather Radio: News and information about sunspots, solar flares and meteor showers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im hoping to see some through my glass roofed bedroom. After working outside all day in the biting wind there is no way I'm going back outside tonight. Even sat out in the hot tub the wind whistles round your ears :)

Just seen 00:45 a bright green flash in the NE sky as I was going to bed, very short in duration, I didn't get a direct view of what it was though as the wall was in the way. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else saw this.

I think it may have been to same one I saw. It was incredibly bright. I couldn't see it as the thin clouds hid it, but the light was so intense you could see it through them.

I have been at work all night , I kept on stopping my patrol car and having a peak when possible. I have seen three Geminids, would have liked to look for longer but duty beckoned !

Got the next four nights off so cant wait to get in some well deserved stargazing.:)

Went out about 9.45 last night and saw about 4, but the sky was really hazy, plus the moon didn't help, stayed out about an hour. Stuck my head out at midnight, and could see the moon through the cloud, but no chance of any meteors, so I went to bed.

Shame, would have loved to get a good view, but hey ho, that's life.

I wasn't planning to observe tonight, but I just opened the front upstairs window as its clear tonight. Facing south over Rutland I just spotted three amazingly bright meteors falling over Rutland, UK within a couple of minutes. One was across Orion.

Pretty chuffed not to have to wait around for hours on end for these spectacles. I have to say, I feel really priveleged to observe these meteors this evening.

Archived