Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what's the best accessory you've got this year?

pilkinn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an imaging point of view I bought a Bahtinov mask for each scope, why didn't I just buy one at the same time as the scope ?? - it makes the whole process so much easier.

I'd agree with the light panel as well, brilliant piece of equipment and flats aren't as daunting now.

For visual, the Baader hyperion zoom EP, it's relegated all apart from one of my previous EP's to not being used.

Visually, my UHC filter, as I finally got to see the Veil Nebula this summer.

Overall though, it is hard to beat my webcam - So much more detail is visible on Jupiter and my Mum doesn't have to ask which bit to look through and then end up holding the eyepiece.

My secondhand f6.3 reducer (purchased when the for sale section was running)

Bargain and gives me an entirely "different" viewing experience out of my SCT.

If I can add a sub-category of worst accessory...... it has to be the spirit level supplied with the Nexstar SE ! How I've not lost it yet ???

Neil

Best thing this year happened by accident when telrads were out of stock, so set about building my own finder to a slightly different design, better optics, different reticule (use dotting rings) and an extra layer for better sharper image rings, rings are also dimmer-able separately. Works great and the improved version is nearly finished with a number of improvements and additions. Add the that it only cost me £13.

hmm well since everything is new I'd say the planisphere, because it's educational helping me learn the constellations and very useful for choosing alignment starts to get my scopes goto setup at the start of each session. Even if I now find I prefer navigating without the goto as much as possible.

Best thing this year happened by accident when telrads were out of stock, so set about building my own finder to a slightly different design, better optics, different reticule (use dotting rings) and an extra layer for better sharper image rings, rings are also dimmer-able separately. Works great and the improved version is nearly finished with a number of improvements and additions. Add the that it only cost me £13.

Sounds very interesting. Did you post the design somewhere?

I'm glad I asked now. So many things to think about. Telrads seem popular - I don't actually have a finder of any sort at the moment. That and various clothing items.!

I'd like to add another vote for the Gerd Nuemann flat panel I bought this year. Not cheap but I bought a biggish one that can be used on a number of scopes.

Archived