SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tal 100RS OTA back in stock!

FLO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks MjrTom and Caldwell - guess I was only getting x80. I will pick out a few more EPs then. There is a 6.3mm super plossl that came with the scope - not tried that yet... .

I've not had much luck with that yet (Mars wouldn't come into focus for instance)- I'm working on the fact that the seeing isn't good. I have a plan to get up early Sunday and have a pop at Saturn, Mars and Epsilon Lyrae (Stellarium reckons about 4.30 - 5.30 would be good for my location - and obstructions) now just hope the weather is kind.

Mars is a very tricky object due to its small angular size.

I tend to use a nearby star to attain focus and the switch back to Mars to view it as focusing directly can be trickier as there is less detail to focus on.

You will really like Epsilon Lyrae, a real test of a telescopes optics. I try and test my telescope and eyes by trying to use the minimum magnification possible.

If I remember correctly I think it was 80x to split all four components with my Vixen. (near identical to the Tal)

Thanks for that!

The more I hear about Mars the more it seems to be a bit of a pain to be honest. Maybe in the future I'll get better luck, as my experience improves. Experience seems to be a critical factor and to an extent independent of equipment (and it's free)!

To be honest I don't hold high hopes for the double as it is still pretty low - I think it gets higher later in the year? However you have to start trying sometime.

I'll give Mars another go tonight/tomorrow, weather permitting with small smaller EPs. Thanks for advice, all!

May try and get out of the city and see if I can find some easy doubles to split too - any suggestions?

I'm with carlc on the experience thing. Everytime I get out, even if its just with my bins, I seem to see a little more, regardless of the conditions...it really seems that my eye is "learning" :).

So much still to see and learn... .

May try and get out of the city and see if I can find some easy doubles to split too - any suggestions?

My understanding is doubles are great for city dwellers because they're bright and so LP isn't as big an issue.

There are lots of lists of doubles (try Google) but when I review them I have to be careful to check them out as for some they need a Dob to split.

Some links:

Double Stars - TOP 200 most beautiful double stars

Fun with double and variable stars - Astronomy Magazine

Double Stars For Binoculars - OPT Telescopes

It's meant to be tricky but Iota Orionis (the double elements) may be worth a look? Also Theta 2 Orionis is relatively easy as is Mintaka. Mizar in Ursa Major. Castor in Gemini.

There are many others (can't you tell it's been cloudy)!

Yeah double stars are a great target for city dwellers as they are not affected by light pollution as much. As long as there are enough naked eye stars to use as reference or have GoTo to help.

This time of the year my favourite is actually Rigel (Beta Orionis)

Its not a difficult one to split with its 9.5 arc second separation but they differ greatly with apparent magnitude. The main star is +0.28 and its companion 10.4 mag

Cool - I'll start witht the orion ones then :) Easy to find at least!

Cheers for the info:icon_salut:

Rigel is a nice one. If you are up for a challenge try Eta Orionis - that one will really test the scope, the seeing conditions and you !

Need to catch up, I still have a TAL 100 R which is one of the earlier models purcased in the 90s, I need to dust it off and last used it for the Venus transit back in June 04 I'll ready it for the one coming up this summer :D

Great scope optically great for the moon and easier doubles, I will set it up so my daughter can get some use out of it :)

Archived