Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal 100RS OTA back in stock!

FLO

I have done the decent thing and bought one from FLO. (at last) I have a thing for retro things in general and love refractors.

FLO says...

"Mechanically the construction is utilitarian (Tal fans consider that part of it's charm)"

I have owned Russian Motorbikes and Shotguns so I a fair idea what to expect from a Russian telescope, as long as the mount will stand it I am sure I will be delighted.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very pleased to see you have bought one of these Hex, hope I may now get the chance to look through one of the these.

Hope it all goes well when you get the chance to evaluate it. :(

Well Alan you will get your chance at the Waters Edge next week mate :icon_scratch: My dovetail has arrived the sopes been scope mounted and my AZ 4 is a perfect match for it, I'm delighted :D

Mine arrived yesterday and I have just set it up and had a good look at the goldfinches feeding at the other end of the garden.

All in all a very nice scope, looks and feels a lot more than it cost.

Does anyone know what the screw in reticle is for that comes with the scope. I tried fitting it to the EPS the scope came with, but in all cases the reticule was out of focus, I could not move into into the ep far enough for focuse.

regards

David

Mine arrived yesterday and I have just set it up and had a good look at the goldfinches feeding at the other end of the garden.

All in all a very nice scope, looks and feels a lot more than it cost.

Does anyone know what the screw in reticle is for that comes with the scope. I tried fitting it to the EPS the scope came with, but in all cases the reticule was out of focus, I could not move into into the ep far enough for focuse.

regards

David

It's a crosshair reticule and it screws into the bottom of the 25 mm eyepiece so you can accurately align the finderscope.

• 2 weeks later...

Focuser spec is all wrong too but what is on the flo site is what ovl state, if anybody needs to pull their finger out its them not flo.

Ovl seem all about skywatcher so im not surprised they are not up to date with the TAL equipment.

I have said it before and will again, we need a more dedicated UK TAL supplier

I have said it before and will again, we need a more dedicated UK TAL supplier

Second that...er FLO, fancy the gig?

Thank-you for your confidence :evil: but I do have sympathy for OVL. Tal make some very nice optics but mechanically they don't have the same fit and finish as the Chinese and Taiwanese models. I personally remove and clean the objective and adjust the focuser of every Tal 100 RS prior to dispatch, otherwise we would see too many returns. It isn't difficult and is something that could easily be done by the customer but in this day and age they shouldn't need to.

Then there is the supply situation. For one reason or another they are not always available. I don't think it is just the UK either, we are currently being asked to dispatch Tal 100RS telescopes to other European countries. When supply dries up we get a lot of flak.

It is unfortunate because I like Tal telescopes. Optically they perform very well indeed and have a personality that is quite different to anything else on the market and when I see what some people spend on retro-style small-aperture achromats I think the Tal 100RS is incredibly good value too!

If they stopped production tomorrow everyone would want one :icon_salut:

Steve

Thanks for amending the website, some months back i submitted a review for the Tal100RS and made a note of the aluminium tube, then a few weeks later i had cause to remove the objective cell and to my :evil:, steel tube:rolleyes: however this makes no difference to the performance of this classic telescope :icon_salut:

What i do find infuriating is the total lack of supply regarding the 125r achromat, it was originally supplied as a package to include mount and with rack an pinion focus, however just to make it even more tempting it now has the crayford focuser and can be supplied as an OTA, but in real terms the chance of getting one here in the UK is slim to zero!

The UK market is very poorly catered for regarding 5" achro`s the only options seem to be the Evostar or Evostar ED, such a shame................rant over:icon_salut:

Archived