Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

Last year, something like 50% of the attendees (including me) were 1st time party goers, so dont worry at all.

75% ;)

Kuff dam - you'll have a great time - we work hard to promote a really open atmosphere and everybody was really welcoming to the less experienced visitors (like me!).

If you don't get sorted with a scope in the meantime, we are working with the traders to ensure we have a range of starter scopes in the £100 to £500 range - we will invite Peak 2 Valley again but I guess not everybody can afford their £15k refractor, stunning as it is!

In the meantime, I have just bought my dad a pair of 15 x 70 Revelation bins from Telescope House (the only place that had them back in stock two weeks ago). Great binoculars at a great price and highly recommended if you cannot make up your mind about a scope. They benefit a lot from a light tripod and a decent L bracket but are just about light enough to be hand-holdable.

J.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a pair of 10 x 50 Bins that i've been using to find my way around the skies. They were second hand from Ebay. Not great but good enough for now as i'm not too bothered about what the objects look like through them as i'm more concerned with learning the art of star hopping and the constellations. I thought it would be better to have a rough idea of the skies before taking the plunge and forking out for a Scope. I will definitely have a Scope for the party though ,and a million questions no doubt.

Glad to hear that i won't be the only newbie there!

We are all newbies just some have had more practice! ;)

I've had loads of practice at being a newbie! Months and months of watching my scope gathering dust under cloudy skies has contributed well to my mountain of ignorance...

75% :o

Dont quote numbers to me buddy. I may have to remind you of a certain football score last year.......... ;)

Hmmmmm. i may be forced to regret these comments over the comig weeks... we shall see..

Seriously though 75%. Any idea what % of us noobs are coming back again this year.

BTW - great job getting everything organized so up front.. ;)

James, can u let me know if there are any ehu pitches left as i have been without internet so havent been able to book as my phone wont load the booking site, please please pleaseeeeeee tell me there is one or i will cry, cannot go without leccy again, write back asap please and thank you xxxxxxxxxxxx

James, can u let me know if there are any ehu pitches left as i have been without internet so havent been able to book as my phone wont load the booking site, please please pleaseeeeeee tell me there is one or i will cry, cannot go without leccy again, write back asap please and thank you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Unless he's had a cancellation I think I nabbed the last one on the Rally Field - sorry. :(

Unless he's had a cancellation I think I nabbed the last one on the Rally Field - sorry. :(

Even if it is, there's bound to be some cancellation, I had to cancel last year. So just put your name on the waiting list. If there isn't one, hassle James to create one!

Perry on mobile (so blame strange words on text prediction!)

AAAAARRGHHHH, iv had the money waiting ages too. im afraid i wont be coming this year if i dont have ehu.... stupid darn internet providers. oh well, james will you get in touch about putting my name on ur cancellation list for me please, thank you :-(

Hi Kerry,

all the official EHU pitches have gone; as with last year, though, we will have access to the Seasonal pitches that are not in use. I ave put you on a waiting list as we won't know how many we have until a few weeks before but we will definitely have one or two.

Thinking about it, I will put a page on the site for people to join a waiting list.

Thanks all,

J.

ok thanks james, what do you want me to do about payment then? i definately want ehu pitch and i can keep the money aside, just hopefully wont be in the over flow as it was very lonely up there lol x

The last one I took is in the Rally Field (or overflow as you call it) So maybe you'll be glad you missed that one. If it's clear I gather it's the darkest part of the site and if it's cloudy it'll be part time in my tent so no loneliness in the Rally Field this year! ;)

I'd be interested in coming along, I'd be hoping for a EHU and staying in a tent. I went to a star camp at Keilder a few years ago and it was good fun. I picked up an AstroTrac from its designer so thats when I started doing a bit more deep sky imaging.

I'll drop you an email with my details.

Archived