SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

Many thank's to James and co for a great event, pity about the weather but it was still interesting talking to people, I enjoyed the S@N presentation. thanks also to Spikey for helping me with imaging early sunday morning although the fog kept drifting in. looking forward to SGL8 now

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thank's to James and co for a great event, pity about the weather but it was still interesting talking to people, I enjoyed the S@N presentation. thanks also to Spikey for helping me with imaging early sunday morning although the fog kept drifting in. looking forward to SGL8 now

You're very welcome Keith :grin:

I miss Chester already!! He was my adoptive baby for the weekend and loved the sloppy,muddy kisses lol. Mum still hasn't seen the scope but she was going on about the base saying what the blumming hell is that so just wait till she sees the cannon in my room hahahaaa. Wish it was a more frequent event as I met like minded people and it was fab to feel so relaxed albeit a bit cold. Roll on next year!!!!!!!

hey Kerry Ann, you need to change your signature now. by the time we get to PSP15, you'll own the Hubble!

@Moonshane - I'm sure you've gathered by now that packing up and getting out of there was the sensible thing to do.

Uplooker and I resembled drowned rats today.

I'm glad I left but sorry the conditions were rubbish. I was at home looking at lovely blue skies in the west and deepening as the sun went down, cursing my decision but hoping you all got a good night. seems I was lucky and you unlucky this time. a real shame.

BUT still a cracking weekend. :smiley:

I wasn't able to get to PSP (one year, maybe) but it seems you had the same problem as we did on Saturday at the Redditch AS star party which was totally clouded out so we spent the evening in the pub instead! ;-)

Paul Abel and Pete Lawrence have always struck me as approachable people on the occasions we've exchanged tweets. I had a feeling Starman was Pete from his avatar :-)

I shall look forward to seeing the S@N episode !

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,

glad you had a great weekend, even if Friday night / Saturday morning was the only decent sky (though Sat night was incredibly stable if you were lucky enough to find anything in the gaps between the clouds around 12:30 ish!). Dion (Astronomy Shed) was saying he captured an incredible avi of Jupiter on Sat night - he reckons you can barely see it move through the capture so I cannot wait to see the vid and the resulting image. Highlight for me had to be the solar prom on Sunday - I have never looked through a PST before so what an introduction!!!

Sky at Night were great and it was a real pleasure to meet you all - thanks for getting stuck in with the refractor scopes and putting up with my ad-libbed instructions when we ran out of kit bits!!! Thanks also for the impromptu Q&A session on Sat evening - I started walking around the fields around 7pm thinking it might just be OK, was just about able to see Vega and Altair (I think) by quarter to eight then nothing at all by the time the "sky tour" started!!!

Again, a huge thanks to Richard, Angela and Paul - I know it is my name that gets associated with everything on the forums but a huge amount of getting everything sorted and managing things through the weekend is down to them. Simon and Darren's joint imaging day on Sunday went down really well so thanks very much for taking car of Sunday!

Thanks also to Ed, Marilyn and Adam for getting the site ready and helping people on and off pitches through the weekend!

We learned a few things about what vehicles can go on what pitches this weekend so we are going to spend a week or so re-hashing the pitch layout, and will open bookings for PSP2013 hopefully within the next two weeks. As promised, bookings will be open to people who came this year only for a couple of weeks, then to everybody else.

Shane - maybe PSP2013 will be the time I finally get to look through the dob!!!

Thanks again,

James.

Hi All,

I really enjoyed this years event, but for reasons other than viewing or imaging. I met a lot of very informed people, attended concise and succinct talks/presentations and generally enjoyed the welcoming, friendly and accommodating atmosphere of the weekend.

This is down to the hard work that James, Richard, Angela, John and Paul and the tireless work of the other marshals have put in to make it the event that it is.

I particularly enjoyed John Nichol’s (Glass pusher) presentation on mirror grinding. His style was very easy to follow and although he was concerned, there was no danger of anyone falling asleep during the talk. I would also like to thank John for the extra time he spent with me explaining strehl ratios, P-V, RMS etc., very informative.

I enjoyed the imaging talk on the Sunday by Simon Metcalf (Nomis Elfactem), again very informative and pitched at the correct level for the audience.

It would be remiss of me if I did not thank the guys from UKAI – Ade, Rob, Simon, Phil (sorry if I missed someone – I blame information overload!) for the ½ - 1 hour master class in processing images in Photoshop. Thank you very much indeed. Sorry for just barging into your tent on the Sat night with a flash drive saying “Who’s up to the challenge of processing my M81 & M82 data”

Ian / Uplooker

Simon- it just fitted in the car with the ducet wrapped around it :-) my mum was in bed when we got back so I sneaked it up to my bedroom and laid it on the bed lol but she saw the base and kept asking what it was and eventually went in my room and saw it.... She didn't really say much but that's probably coz she's dumbfounded lol

shane- I would love to own Hubble :-)). Really can't wait to get it out and have a nosy up there at the few things visible from my garden! lol

Simon- it just fitted in the car with the ducet wrapped around it :-) my mum was in bed when we got back so I sneaked it up to my bedroom and laid it on the bed lol but she saw the base and kept asking what it was and eventually went in my room and saw it.... She didn't really say much but that's probably coz she's dumbfounded lol

shane- I would love to own Hubble :-)). Really can't wait to get it out and have a nosy up there at the few things visible from my garden! lol

Gotta say it again, Kerry, great purchase on that dob - I don't think even Shane's stands out quite so boldly! I hope you get enough decent weather this winter to make real use of it!

J.

Yeah it was a good buy for definate! Unfortunately the weather is the same here as it was on Saturday night with bad fog so I'm hoping it will clear for the weekend when I have nothing to get up for! And yes it does stand out but I guess so do I so it's a good match lol :-)

I bet with your red hair and the gold tube, it looks like a hugh lipstick from a distance? :grin: you certainly got a great scope for the money you paid. lots of 'tinkerability' about it too - I can see already that you were instantly thinking of ways to mod the scope and improve it - you'll fit in perfectly with the dob mob! :smiley:

Hahahaaaa lipstick??? Lol yeah I thought of things but really don't have a clue where to start lol think at the moment trying to get outside a bit more and learn that side of things would be best, then next year I can ask u all the things I could do to the scope :-)) it's nerve wracking thinking about drilling in to my cannon lol

Archived