Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definately in again but i need to look in to this ehu thing as i want a little more comfort if possible. dont no wot i need to buy though lol ( kind of sounds the same as last year lol) would like to be in camping field though as the overflow was too windy for me lol.......... cant wait again woop lol x

I'm definately in again but i need to look in to this ehu thing as i want a little more comfort if possible. dont no wot i need to buy though lol ( kind of sounds the same as last year lol) would like to be in camping field though as the overflow was too windy for me lol.......... cant wait again woop lol x

KA, when/if you do get a EHU go for a 25mtr cable as the distribution boxes are some distance away from the tent. If you ask James nicely for pitch 1 on the camping field (my old pitch) then it will reach nicely :D

Hi all,

website coming along nicely - finally been able to fit it in around job interviews, etc. - and I have included a field in the booking form for you to select a preferred pitch.

We won't be allocating pitches until March so we can fairly assess who has asked for what (some groups also want to be together) and cannot guarantee you will get the pitch you request but we will do our best to put you there or very close.

I know I keep giving dates for the website release but I really am there now - the e-commerce thingumy and base website are working fine on my laptop so I just need to get them to the live server and sort out the e-mail issues (no progress on the support ticket - we are trying a few things but I haven't been around to chase as much as I would have liked in the last few days).

Out of interest, giving it is Astronomy Day Part 2 on the Friday, we are going to try to focus on community astronomy and things you can do yourself at PSP2012. This means things like the bottle rocket competition and Ian Poysers telescope workshop will go ahead but we will be including more workshops (collimation and other useful techniques, introductory imaging, etc.) and things you can do from home like Planet Hunters, My Dark Sky and so on - nothing too much firmed up at this stage but I will add details through the year as we go.

Thanks,

James.

same here Mark! hopefully about where I was and again with EHU. looking forward to it. might try and build up some TOIL so I can get there a little earlier this time (and practise taking out my front seat although I may have a different car by then).

Yeah Shane, hopefully in the same field that you were in and I spent pretty much the whole weekend in this field before making the trek back to the overflow field to get some kip in the early hours.

Only saving grace was when the majority bailed on sunday morning I unpegged my tent and carried it back to the main field and repitched it on an available space.

I suspect a transit van would be ideal for you Shane :)

Would the pitch numbering be the same as last year or there will be a map now?

Same pitch numbering as last year, and we are putting a map on the site. Two slight changes:

1. we are calling the Rally Field by its proper name - i.e. not "Overflow Field" any more.

2. we hope to have ten additional EHU pitches in the field where the marquees were last year. These will be partly on hard standing and partly on grass so they will be suitable for camper vans, caravans or tents.

Hi James,

You can count me in again, that sky was superb when clear, I'm looking forward to the good company and I'll bring my meteorites again. I can even give you a talk about them and a hands on practical session if you want(no charge it's a pleasure).

PaulC(PaulB's observing buddy)

Right, the good news is I am back in full time employment. Many thanks to Colin on UKAI for that lead, and good to know that PSP2011 helped!

The even better news is I have a week off (give or take a few bits and bobs to get sorted at my last place) before I start my new job to finally get the PSP / PDDS website live so, unless unything untoward happens, we will be taking bookings next weekend :)

J.

Any other planets / space rocks you can get hold of a chunk of?

Yes James Mars, Moon, Asteroid Vesta, 'Mercury suspect', Murchison meteorite, Allende meteorite, Tagish Lake meteorite, Arizona meteorite, Brahin meteorite, Vaca Muerta meteorite, Carancas meteorite.........................................................

.................and numerous others big and small.

Archived