Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fingers crossed, my Land Rover will be healthy enough to make the run down, I'm sure it's something or nothing that is to do, alas, I must wait until I return to UK before I can get anything done to it...

I'll be driving down from Rossendale, Lancs, via Glossop. If anyone has need of a lift PM me and we'll see what can be arranged.

Hi Jimieee/James

You wont be the only starparty newb - this'll be my first too :). I'm also in the rally field (pitch 13) - looking forward to meeting loads of new folks and experiencing differnt kit. Bought a tent, gots some sleeping bags and red torches - written Jaffa Cakes in large letters on my Things to Bring list (right after "scopes" and "beer"). Only three weeks to go!

You are early opposite me then - I'm on 21.

Thank you Stu, Jiggy 67 et al for the offers of assistance. James I will certainly assist with anything you need doing setting up - only after the tent is erected. i am very used to putting tents up in the wind and rain, but not so well versed in putting them up in the dark while trying to look throught a telescope.

Ian

James, I suppose that our kit may need plenty of solace if it's cloudy :p

I shall bring a small three man and a larger four man. May just pop the three man up on Friday night as I will be there later, and get properly sorted in the morning.

Stu

James, I suppose that our kit may need plenty of solace if it's cloudy :p

Yep, that's why I am trying to sort out a bar!!!

blumming predictive text - and trying to use it at half past seven while my 3yo daughter is demanding attention...

PSP2012 PITCH PLAN AND ALLOCATIONS UPDATED - PLEASE CHECK

Hi all, can you please visit the PSP2012 pitch allocation page (here: http://www.peakstarp....php/pitch-plan) and check your new pitch allocation?

We have found a few extra EHU pitches (I'll be in touch with people on the waiting list later today) but they are a bit spread out and I needed to move people around more than I anticipated. This primarily affects the Rally and Touring Fields. I have tried to keep groups together and put heavy vehicles on grass where possible but please make sure you have the sort of pitch you are expecting! Particularly - if you have paid for EHU but not been allocated one, or are in a heavy camper and have been put on a grass pitch (no H in the pitch code), please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

James.

as far as I'm concerned, any biscuit or cake based products are welcome!

Hmm - now we're heading into exchange rates; before we know it there'll be people trading jaffa cake futures, not to mention people yetis travelling from the far eat and thinking their knock-off copies are worth the same :)

Radio Jove is a NASA experiment to listen to and monitor emissions from Jupiter at around 20MHz (the emissions are across most of the spectrum but this is a convenient frequency to listen on as there is low atmospheric absorption and not too much interference). There are periodic radio storms caused by Io's interactions with Jupiter's magnetic field, other periodic storms caused by something other than Io and other storms we cannot predict yet.

The dipoles are two long wire antennae (about 7 m of wire, plus supports, on 3-4m masts) separated by about the same distance. PDF doc describing the antenna here: http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/telescope/ant_manual.pdf.

The same kit is also very effective at listening so solar emissions; with a little patience, it is possible to match the signals received to specific sunspots (I think!).

This bit of radio astronomy setup will be looked after by Andrew Thornett and friends from Rosliston Astronomy; they will also have an itty bitty radio telescope (modded satellite dish that can "see" the sun and other strong microwave emissions and a Super SID space weather monitoring receiver that is designed to detect surges in charged particles hitting the upper atmosphere. Satellite dishes are too small to pick up much beyond the sun, satellites and terrestrial sources but they illustrate the workings very well (and show the problems of man-mad interference!). Aside from Rosliston, I believe Paul Collins will be bringing his meteor monitoring kit, too, and there is at least one other Itty Bitty dish coming, I think.

J.

Radio Jove is a NASA experiment to listen to and monitor emissions from Jupiter at around 20MHz (the emissions are across most of the spectrum but this is a convenient frequency to listen on as there is low atmospheric absorption and not too much interference). There are periodic radio storms caused by Io's interactions with Jupiter's magnetic field, other periodic storms caused by something other than Io and other storms we cannot predict yet.

The dipoles are two long wire antennae (about 7 m of wire, plus supports, on 3-4m masts) separated by about the same distance. PDF doc describing the antenna here: http://radiojove.gsf.../ant_manual.pdf.

The same kit is also very effective at listening so solar emissions; with a little patience, it is possible to match the signals received to specific sunspots (I think!).

Just testing, knew that really

Archived