Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One good suggestion last year which not many did (myself included) was to put our SGL names on the outside of our tents so it is easier to recognise each other. That, along with a 'Wake me up if it's clear!' sign!

Stu

One good suggestion last year which not many did (myself included) was to put our SGL names on the outside of our tents so it is easier to recognise each other. That, along with a 'Wake me up if it's clear!' sign!

Stu

Or at least on the pitch allocation sheet...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

great idea Stu. maybe we can have a vote for the best sign :grin: I'm gonna make one I think.

will be great to meet everyone again - old and new friends!

James, my main recommendations would be as follows:

• make sure you have enough warm clothes - it gets very cold when you are (I hope!) out all night in clear October skies.
  • use the dimmest red torch you can get away with and with plenty of spare batteries. headtorches are OK but too bright as supplied and need to be dimmed.
  • don't use your mobile in view of others.
  • don't have white lights inside the tent, they are surprisingly bright from outside
  • don't assume everyone will be happy for you to look through their scopes - most will though if you ask nicely (and pay via Jaffa cakes).
  • if someone is imaging, make sure you ask from a distance if it's OK to approach - your footsteps can ruin subs.
  • make sure your interior car light is off and that any lights are blacked out - your indicators will not make people happy if you have to open your car and reset the alarm.
  • if you need help or advice, just ask your neighbour, they'll be glad to do so.
  • just be nice and enjoy yourself!

Only to get involved and talk to as many people and look through as many scopes as you can. Everyone is very friendly and approachable, most people just want to share what they are doing.

One obvious thing, don't touch anything without asking, particularly any scopes which are imaging. Their owners may not be amused if you interrupt a long imaging run.

Oh, and finally just have fun whether it's clear or cloudy :D

Stu

Spikey, just go visual, you know it makes sense. So much less hassle :p

Stu

LOL I used to be once upon a time. I'll be bringing my little Mak for a spot of solar in the day and also some planetary viewing at night. Jupiter was nice in it last year.

• use the dimmest red torch you can get away with and with plenty of spare batteries. headtorches are OK but too bright as supplied and need to be dimmed

...any top tips for how to dim a red head torch? Nail varnish? (my wife's, of course...mine's way too good to waste!)

...any top tips for how to dim a red head torch? Nail varnish? (my wife's, of course...mine's way too good to waste!)

I made a red light filter for my Maglite, using red acetate sheets. It worked ok, but its a bit bright, even after placing several sheets back to back.

You could probably try something similar. I heard somewhere of someone using brown tape - to dim the red light further - but haven't tried it...

Hi All,

I am really looking forward to PSP 2012 - clear skies, friendly and helpful people etc. I just have one slight problem - I need someone to assist me in putting the tent up. A friend who was going to join me for the weekend is no longer able to. I only have an 8 man tent - its not small, although it is good for storage of kit, moving around in and/or having a party, but it is not easy to put up on your own.

Would someone be willing to assist me? I am willing to repay the debt in refreshments / jaffa cakes (delete as appropiate) :grin: or even storage of some large items

I plan to arrive around lunchtime on the Friday and I am located on Pitch 24 of the camping field.

Ian

some use varnish but for my torch I went through the hell of skimmed milk for a few days and bought those 4 pint plastic bottles (why didn't I think to buy the one pint ones!!) with a red top. cut down one or two discs to reduce light and fit them within the bulb housing. works a treat. for your head torch, anything red would do though really - some use the strawberry quality street wrappers, maybe a few layers and it would dim substantially. main thing is not having it shining in people's eyes when talking to them.

I'm sure someone will help Uplooker. I would do willingly but won't be arriving until later on the Friday, probably early evening so will be pitching tent in the dark :-(.

I know exactly what you mean though, I borrowed an 8 man tent to go away with the children last year and tried to put it up on my own! The children tried to help but they only weigh about four stone each so didn't have much chance. Fortunately a nice lady rescued me before the whole lot collapsed on top of me :D

Stu

Would someone be willing to assist me? I am willing to repay the debt in refreshments / jaffa cakes (delete as appropiate) :grin: or even storage of some large items

I would help, but I won't arrive until at least 3pm. I hope you get it sorted before then!

I plan to arrive around lunchtime on the Friday and I am located on Pitch 24 of the camping field.

Ian

Hi Uplooker, I'll be arriving around the same time and I'm in pitch 23 next door.......do you a deal, I'll help you for help in return, because I'll have a tent I've never seen before, my experiance of putting tents up is minimal, but at least it'll be a laugh!!!

Hi algady, if you can get a train to Buxton, post on here and you'll get a lift. If you have a car, drive and offer someone else a lift:)

Accommodation is a tent, caravan or whatever else you bring. Camp site pitches available at www.peakstarparty.com.

You could try a post on here to see if there is anybody on here on their own looking for a bit of company...

J.

I thought I should say hi on this thread, because I booked a pitch in the rally field recently.

This will be my first star party, does anyone have any (general) tips for me?

Hi Jimieee/James

You wont be the only starparty newb - this'll be my first too :). I'm also in the rally field (pitch 13) - looking forward to meeting loads of new folks and experiencing differnt kit. Bought a tent, gots some sleeping bags and red torches - written Jaffa Cakes in large letters on my Things to Bring list (right after "scopes" and "beer"). Only three weeks to go!

Archived