Narrowband

Peak Star Party 2012

jamespels

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi James, Ive emailled several times since April regarding availability of places or reserve list and never had a reply, I only just found your thread here. I guess its a hopeless case then ?

Hi James, Ive emailled several times since April regarding availability of places or reserve list and never had a reply, I only just found your thread here. I guess its a hopeless case then ?

Hi Teslar - PM sent.

if i turn up in the day...gaze till say 11:30pm then drive home would this be ok and what would this cost me?

Hi estwing, £5 per person per day; valid from roughly midday to roughly midday the next day (i.e. overnight).

J.

Hope this is OK with James / organisers but just to add a bit of interest (like we need any) I am thinking of trying to organise on one of the nights a 'shootout' between scopes of varying aperture, focal length, focal ratio, design and optical quality (scopes and eyepieces). The idea is to test a group of scopes at a fixed magnification and with no filtration on certain targets. Perhaps a planet, a globular cluster, an open cluster and a galaxy. We would find the target object in our scopes, have look and then move along in a 'speed astronomy' style to gauge if we can how the views differ. Ideally we should then provide a summary of the views and then produce a report condensing this information.

I think this would be 1) great fun 2) a challenge to organise and 3) very useful for people wanting to choose a next scope. It's certainly a cheaper way to test scopes than buying them! Is this something of interest?

James will need to confirm pitches etc. my idea is that we all set up in a circle, find the target and then move round the circle to each other's scopes. maybe each section of the camp could do this and we can then compare notes.

James will need to confirm pitches etc. my idea is that we all set up in a circle, find the target and then move round the circle to each other's scopes. maybe each section of the camp could do this and we can then compare notes.

Even better if it's blind so no preconceptions on Ethos vs BST :-)

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

lol and you could also sing

Here we go ‘round the telescope tree

The telescope tree, the telescope tree

Here we go ‘round the the telescope tree

So early in the morning

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Are there still pitches available?

Caldwell14 and marki, have a google of the peak star party, and view the pitch allocations, looks like there are some left in the rally field, but best to book pretty soon if attending, hopefully james will be along soon to confirm pitch`s left, it would be good to have you both attend

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peak+star+party+2012

sorry, not used that for years just had to do it :grin: :grin: :grin:

There are some VERY silly people on here :)

Shane - I think that's a great idea and would fit in well with the supporting beginners ethos.

All, there are plenty of non-electric pitches left (see here: www.peakstarparty.com). There are none left with hookup but we have plenty of scope for charging scope powerpacks and similar batteries through the day. Booking form is on the same website - please read the booking instructions first as it isn't the simplest, I'm afraid!

J.

There are some VERY silly people on here :)

I just had a PM from somebody who I think took offense at this. If you did, I have no idea why - I was laughing WITH the comments above, not AT them.

J.

Excellent. Have registered with the site and just need to check dates with Mrs Marki (or get a weekend solo pass), then will book. Now...off to look at websites for a decent tent (suggestions welcome)!

I just had a PM from somebody who I think took offense at this. If you did, I have no idea why - I was laughing WITH the comments above, not AT them.

J.

If my being silly caused offence i apologise, only meant in a light hearted manner

Excellent. Have registered with the site and just need to check dates with Mrs Marki (or get a weekend solo pass), then will book. Now...off to look at websites for a decent tent (suggestions welcome)!

Might i suggest waiting a couple of months to purchase a tent, as come end of summer, the suppliers will be discounting heavily

I can stay over in Rainow nr Macclesfield (only14 miles away over the tops) so I might just come over for the night and head off to a proper bed in the wee small hours, is that possiable?

No probs - day tickets are £5 and run from midday to midday, give or take.

Archived