Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

ASIGN_Baz

New article - How to take photographs of space

I didn't know about afocal until I took an uppercut to the chin... quite catchy IMO.

Baz, I've just been laughing out loud as I read your 'noobs' guide to wide field . . thanks it was just what I was looking for; the laughs as well as the info. I'm wanting to try taking night sky photos with some foreground landscape details showing, such as rock formations, trees, maybe middle-distance hills, etc. ISO 800, 30 second exposures at various apertures, manually focused. But my efforts so far have been disappointing. The pic on your website of the lunar eclipse in June 2011 is a beaut . . that's what I'm talking about! You mention about taking ten identical photos and stacking them; does this work if you want the stars to stay as points rather than trails? If so, what's the best stacking software for still images? I'm new to this forum, s I hope you don't mind me asking . . I've got my fist clenched and arm crooked ready to deliver a full uppercut to my jaw, if deemed necessary!

Hi mate, try deep sky stacker. Yes, it's for non-star-trail photo stacking. Make sure you don't have a foreground in the picture and also make sure you know how to manipulate saturation, levels and curves, both in deep sky stacker and then in photoshop. I can't explain how to do it in one paragraph, so tape up that bleeding fat-lip from your most recent uppercut and get stuck into it!

If you want to do star trails, try taking a 30 second exposure every ten seconds apart and stack 50 or more of them together in startrails.de

Baz.

Nice one. Works particularly well if you read it in an Aussie accent. Try not to do it out loud though, and don't follow the words with your finger, either. The first makes people think you're stupid, and the second leaves greasy marks on your monitor. And makes people think you're stupid.

James

Can you come and build me an observatory? The video was just amazing. Great job! Also I appreciated the explanation of stacking as in using video to capture many images to improve picture detail.

Nice one man, exactly the sort of 'this is the basics, knock yerself out' guide to astrophotography I've been looking for. As was said above, if you find time to include a section on afocal that'd be great.

Cheers!

Hello dear....

check out this site,they have 120 computerized telescope

may be this could help you

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-m-107.html

Edited by photography

Great article- thanks for the time it must have taken to compose it - have you considered anger management therapy? :0)

Brillant - thank you - saved for a read later.

Btw - the third pic you have at the top, lens cover still on. I've done that a bit recently :D

Just read this, nearly split my sides laughing!

Very informative, but love your humour :)