Narrowband

New article - How to take photographs of space

ASIGN_Baz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baz, I've just been laughing out loud as I read your 'noobs' guide to wide field . . thanks it was just what I was looking for; the laughs as well as the info. I'm wanting to try taking night sky photos with some foreground landscape details showing, such as rock formations, trees, maybe middle-distance hills, etc. ISO 800, 30 second exposures at various apertures, manually focused. But my efforts so far have been disappointing. The pic on your website of the lunar eclipse in June 2011 is a beaut . . that's what I'm talking about! You mention about taking ten identical photos and stacking them; does this work if you want the stars to stay as points rather than trails? If so, what's the best stacking software for still images? I'm new to this forum, s I hope you don't mind me asking . . I've got my fist clenched and arm crooked ready to deliver a full uppercut to my jaw, if deemed necessary!

Hi mate, try deep sky stacker. Yes, it's for non-star-trail photo stacking. Make sure you don't have a foreground in the picture and also make sure you know how to manipulate saturation, levels and curves, both in deep sky stacker and then in photoshop. I can't explain how to do it in one paragraph, so tape up that bleeding fat-lip from your most recent uppercut and get stuck into it!

If you want to do star trails, try taking a 30 second exposure every ten seconds apart and stack 50 or more of them together in startrails.de

Baz.

• 1 month later...

Nice one. Works particularly well if you read it in an Aussie accent. Try not to do it out loud though, and don't follow the words with your finger, either. The first makes people think you're stupid, and the second leaves greasy marks on your monitor. And makes people think you're stupid.

James

Nice one man, exactly the sort of 'this is the basics, knock yerself out' guide to astrophotography I've been looking for. As was said above, if you find time to include a section on afocal that'd be great.

Cheers!

Hello dear....

check out this site,they have 120 computerized telescope

may be this could help you

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-m-107.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived