Narrowband

Brian Cox on TV

Tinker1947

Ah, the BBC - Home for "wayward boys and girls"... Unemployed chat show hosts, panel game participants,

"alternative" comedians, burgeoning science publicists etc. etc. [just teasing] :)

Manfred Mann My Name Is Jack - YouTube (An obscure reference, I know...) :)

always wondered who sung that
On the "My Wife won't be happy " theme, this is my bit of space, she has her own TV/Sky Setup....

eve-room070509.jpg

must be great for ****. sorry couldnt resist:D:D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 LOL

I find BC delivery style annoying and patronising personally.... One to miss for me at least. Much prefer Sky at Night and Sir PM.

Sorry but i cant agree on the patronising part.He's trying to make what is a very diverse and extremely mind boggling subject understandable to the general public,the vast majority of whom know very little or indeed absolutely nothing about astronomy.

Some of his subject matter may be well known to a lot of amateur astronomers and some may find the simplistic way he explains things as patronising but i dont know of anyone who can use everday objects to explain things and make it as easily understandable to non astromomers as he does.

Like him or loathe him,a lot of people have become interested in astronomy,thanks to his programmes.

Sorry but i cant agree on the patronising part.He's trying to make what is a very diverse and extremely mind boggling subject understandable to the general public,the vast majority of whom know very little or indeed absolutely nothing about astronomy.

Some of his subject matter may be well known to a lot of amateur astronomers and some may find the simplistic way he explains things as patronising but i dont know of anyone who can use everday objects to explain things and make it as easily understandable to non astromomers as he does.

Like him or loathe him,a lot of people have become interested in astronomy,thanks to his programmes.

Well said. He's making stuff that we know, to a greater or lesser degree, accessible to a greater audience.

Anybody who finds such a concept objectionable, is missing the point. Had forums been invented in the fifties, there would have been a bunch of people protesting at a young upstart like Patrick Moore presenting an astronomy programme, when there were clearly other, more worthy, astro heavyweights who should have been chosen. He was the communicator of his day and it's testimony to his style that he has continued as long as he has.

Aunty Beeb is being smart. Not only do we have S@N, with a raft of it's own potential presenters to carry the flame when the time comes and it WILL come, but we now have an extra avenue through SGL. There will be many, who's interest will be piqued by the latter, who will start to watch the former. It's a complimentary pairing and we should rejoice that such topics are being covered with increasing regularity. Any main stream exposure, is good exposure. End of.

Every time I read a post to the contrary, I just see a jealous elitist venting his spleen, scared that he (for it normally is a 'he') may be part of something increasingly popular. Fine. The internet gives them an outlet so they can knock themselves out. They're normally the same people protesting about the proliferation of cheap, accurate, large aperture GOTOs. I mean, imagine the horror of people, easily enjoying the same views of the cosmos they do...

Russell

Because he's a novice astronomer with several scopes ...........

Bri

Yeh right, I did see the first series ......is that Gallifwey? :)

(I've got all this stuff because the BBC have paid me obscene sums of money, but I don't use it)

.........tbh I love Coxy and Wossy ;-

I'd never have guessed :)

John

I don't think "everyone" who inserts a "merry quip" or a little... "satire" into Brian Cox threads is "Just Jelus" (sic). LOL. I think quite a few people simply CARE about how science is presented to the public. In that Brian Cox *can* do a great job. Witness his talk to school-leavers elsewhere? :)

But there is a another level. And one wonders... We (wisely) don't do politics and religion on SGL. But one also senses there is a certain... <ahem> "consistency of philosopy and belief" among the "stars" in the BBC version of this... "Oil Baron's Ball" and the science "court jesters" who entertain them? :)

Maybe some... posterior-bearing Jarvis Cocker is needed at this BBC "Michael Jackson" concert. Or at least a more non-conformist scientist. A sort of Keith Richards to Cox's Jagger? :icon_salut:

BC is NOT an astronomer, and never has been, why do people pretend he is or has been ?

The bloke is a smug muppet who cant stop smiling, talking E V E R sooo sloooooooooly whilst looking all moody into the middle distance.

The fan boys on here make me laugh, perhaps its his girly hair and cheeky smile lol

Archived