Astrosystems telescope advice

Hi All,

Think I just posted this on the wrong thread, but hopefully right one now.

I previously posted this on an existing thread but would appreciate some more responses. I have a 10” F4.3 (or 4.8) reflector purchased from Astrosystems in Luton back in 1987 and I am considering whether to sell it or spend some money (£200) to recoat the mirrors with the hilux coating, and maybe upgrade the focuser (£100+).

The mirrors are still in excellent condition and the telescope has been well kept and stored indoors, but after 20 years they will probably need recoating soon. My question is whether it is worth spending the money on a scope this old when there are so many options these days? I believe the quality of the optics were ahead of their time and finished by David Hinds but am unsure of how these would compare to a similar scope from Skywatcher or from Orion Optics?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

The mirrors in these scopes are excellent. David Hinds made very good mirrors, comparable to Orion Optics and a cut above those in Skywatcher scopes (not that those are bad at all). Well worth getting the mirrors re-coated and upgrading the focuser in my opinion. My first proper scope was the 6" version of your scope - I wish I still had it !.

It's probably an F/4.3 - I think most of the 10" ones were.

Yes I agree with John. I lusted after one of there scopes a lad. The only difference compared to a modern OO mirror is that it is probably full thickness and may take a while to cool. If you find it is an issue add some cooling fans.

I had an 8" Hinds A grade mirror and it was a delight.

Andrew

PS How about posting an image so we can go down memory lane?

• 1 month later...

Archived