SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do I need for DSLR AP?

RogerTheDodger

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a DSLR to take my AP to the next stage, I'd like to make a list of what you think is essential, and what is desirable or useful.

So far, I know I need a DSLR :) and adaptor, and at some point I'll want a coma corrector.

Things I have questions about:-

Battery eliminator? needed? or more batteries?

Software - how do you drive the DSLR? I have looked at APT and it looks good - I know I need to add a serial cable to control the shutter, do I use the canon supplied USB cable for data?

What are the alternatives?

What else do I want or need?

To do prime focus imaging , then yes, you'll need the T thread adaptors to suit the camera body. You also need at least 55mm of back focus to get the CCD into the focal plane!

A battery should last at least a whole night session....a couple of spares are always handy.

The Canon DSLR (>450D) can be controlled via the supplied USB cable and the Canon Utilities software (no need for additional serial etc)

A remote controller like the TC-80 is also very handy to have.

So, a Canon 1000D (or the newer 1100D) either bog standard or modified for improved red response (better for nebula) would be the way to go.

I have the following for my modded 1000D

Astronomik Light Pollution filter - Essential for me to get longer exposures.

T thread adaptor

Reducer / field flattener

PC - controlling the exposures and for focus using the supplied canon cable and EosUtilities (supplied by Canon)

Battery pack from Astronomiser so that I coul run the camera off a battery pack. Using batteries I always thought was a pain.

As above but I would add a second Canon battery (don't get the cheap unbranded ones!!! They are cheap for a reason!). My 1000D will take four hours of 5min subs easily on one battery (plus 20-30 flats) or well over 250-300 moon photos (I tend to take loads and stack them). The second battery is useful especially if I forget to put the "used" one on charge and want to take some pics of the Sun or something the next day!

My camera is also used for "normal" photography and I find the second battery can often get used on a long day out taking pics.

I can vouch for APT, I love it! It's not too expensive either if you decide to buy a license for it. Ivo is continually developing it as well to add new features. Many get by equally well just using the EOS utilities though.

Ivo has a table on his site that describes the capabilities of the various EOS models together with APT here www.astroplace.net - APT - Canon EOS models matrix.

Archived