Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

recomended eyepiece for viewing moon

tony69

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to say what is the best Tony as it's a personal choice. I like to see the moon in full through a 36mm aspheric hyperion but I get just as much pleasure zooming right into the detail through a 10mm hyperion. When the moon is at half full I think a higher power eyepiece shows a great amount of detail. Do you have a 9mm/10mm handy?

With the moon you can use a wide range of eyepiece magnifications as Veracocha says. You do seem to have a small gap in your eyepiece set between 10mm (120x) and 6.3mm (190x) but even 190x should show wonderful close up views with your scope on a decent night.

It's hard to say what is the best Tony as it's a personal choice.

Tony, I agree with Veracocha and John, it's subjective. I use a 10mm with my 10" and the moon looks great, but I would say it's best to try out different EPs and see which one works for you :)

this is a question with an infinite number of answers really. the answer as with many things (as far as I am concerned anyway) is 'the one that gives you the level of contrast and detail you desire for a particular target'. a zoom can be a good idea and I use a 6-3mm zoom which gives me around 250-500x on my most used lunar scope. that said, the seeing sometimes restricts below 200x so a range of the higher mags will help if you can.

thankyou very much everyone for replys veracocha i have a 6.3 and 10 have attached a photo i took with a 25 will give it a try with other sizes when the moon starts going the other way and not so bright please feel free to give me any advice as i am new to all this at i have only just started taken photos through scope many thanks for help .

post-26536-133877703587_thumb.jpg

I like the view on the Moon through 15mm Wide Angle.

32mm is too large, and 6mm is ok only when viewing at half Moon.

mjesec2q.jpg

This is Moon through my 8" Dob, 15mm WA, afocal method with Nokia N86 8Mp.

Green filter is used to reduce the light and increase the contrast.

If, Tony, you want an eyepiece that gives you the maximum acuity on the Moon ( or any other object ), multiply the focal ratio of your 'scope by 2.

This gives us the "sweet spot". So, if your 'scope has a focal ratio of f.8 this gives an eyepiece of 16mm.

hi rwilkey ok will try it before i buy a 13 it is realy good to get out and see the night sky been a long time since i bought my scope back in june think i will be viewing planets only will the 15mm be good for viewing other planets as well please.

The 15mm will be good for viewing any of the planets, if it is a plossl. You will need low power to start off with to find some of the planets, whilst Jupiter is easy to find at the moment, Uranus and Neptune are really difficult to find, even for experienced amatuers. No need to get a 13mm as long as the 15mm works. The 13mm is just a preferred focal length for a couple of us, we use the wide angle ones, 67 degrees (Baader) and 65 degrees in the case of the Vixen LVW. Unfortunately they are a bit expensive, the Baader is about £91 and my LVW is £199 new, but I got it for £99, otherwise I would not normally be able to afford it. So don't spend on premium ep's until you have used what you have already got, you'll probably find what you have is good enough for the planets. It's all about what is best for you.

Archived