Narrowband

Which telescope to buy?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge.

The Skywatcher 130p does come highly recommended but if you are unsure about anything, start off with a pair of 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars and a pocket sky atlas.

Learn your way around the constellations. There are plenty of star clusters you can see with a pair of bins, together with the Moon, Jupiter and four of its moons plus other planets and the odd galaxy (in Andromeda) too.

The portability of bins means you spend a lot less time setting up and if you ever drift away from Astronomy (perish the thought! :)) you still have a pair of bins for general purpose.

Hopefully you will find that binoculars make you want to see more of what the night's sky has to offer. Then it's telescope time!!!

these are very poor toy scopes i no cash might be tight but cash is cash and spend it wisely ,avoid high street shops and camera shops would you buyoil from a chip shop for ya car or go to a garage,i think the reflecor 130p would be a great choice

I bought a Celestron 76eq early last year, and it achieved it's purpose - for £70 it made me realise that money spent on a better scope wouldn't be wasted.

Having said that, it really isn't a very good piece of equipment. Wobbly mount (even in a moderate wind it moves), poor eyepieces, and the red spot finder is truly appalling.

The first time I saw Jupiter, it took me an hour of searching the sky with the 76eq, despite being able to see exactly where it was with naked eye. Anything I found using the 76eq tended to be by chance - although the chance did improve when I mounted a Rigel on it.

But having the 76eq gave me a focus (and that word is used deliberately!). I read about how to use the EQ mount. I read about EPs, focal lengths, magnification, etc and applied that information to my equipment in a way that wouldn't have made sense if I was only using binocs. I learned something of how difficult it is to find DSOs, and the feeling of achievement when I did find them. (I got a couple of M objects in the 76EQ.) If I had been using binocs only I don't think I would have learned quite so much about scopes in such a short time, so may have bought the wrong telescope when I had the money for a larger one......

So £70 wasted? I think not. I don't regret buying it for the reasons above. I still have the 76EQ and will sell it soon, with lots of advice. But I wouldn't recommend buying one despite everything I've said. There is better equipment available for just a bit more money.

• 6 years later...

the danubia is a cheap telescope that was marketed by teco.

the celestron 200p is a good scope but you would be better forgetting the go to system and just go for a good equitorial mount and learn howq to use it

that is my honest opinion

Archived