sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

IC405: Flaming Star - Hubbled

Here are the results of the last two nights of imaging. Though the moon has made things quite difficult (especially in OIII). The guiding was excellent, probably due to me messing about with the worm gear before the session.

Like the propellor before, this target is very weak in OIII so I might have to return on a moonless night to get better data - then I wont have to stretch the blue channel so much. Im currently working on a fix for the blue stripe across the bottom, which came as a result of not having enough OIII.

IC405: Flaming Star Nebula

Ha_L(38x360), SII/Ha/OIII(20x360)

ED80(0.85x), Atik314L+, CG5-GT

Setpoint: -10

Calibration: Bias, Flats

Guiding: Excellent

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=74902&stc=1&d=1323372953

post-18171-133877703294_thumb.jpg

Thanks Telrad, Jamie and Sara :)

Jamie, I needed to tinker slightly with the dec axis and try to take out some of the play in the gear in order to reduce backlash. Its not something you need to do if dec backlash is not a problem for you. It did the trick though, the only guiding errors were being caused by the wind. I would have gone out tonight, but its still a bit blowy for my taste - tomorrow looks promising.

Edited by Uranium235

Thats great Rob, glad the mounts guiding better for you, i think tomorrow night is meant to be clear and then more rain over the weekend. I haven't noticed any backlash with my mount but i haven't really looked for it, i've only used it a few times and was just happy to be out with it, but i'm hoping i don't have to adjust the gears just incase i break something!

All the best

Jamie

Backlash is only observable when youre autoguiding, it shows as a massive overcorrection and/or a sawtooth pattern in the dec guiding graph. Its not so bad having it when youre on 5min subs, but once youre doing 15-20min any backlash will ruin any sub youre currently taking.

Adjusting the gears isnt such a massive job, it just takes a bit of patience to find the point where the gear meshes well, but not so much as to make the motors sound like theyre struggling.

It should be clear tonight, but the moon is at full power so options are limited.

Great colours and capture Rob.

Did you use a lot of noise reduction?.....the nebulousity looks a little smooth to me.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah, youre right - maybe Ive overdone the NR a little.... whoops! :) I will go back and reprocess it, but its been a little more difficult than previous HST colour pics ive done in the past - the moon really hasnt helped.

Thanks for being honest with the critique Rob.

Edited by Uranium235

I agree about the NR, it looks a little washed out, like an oil painting. Other than that, I love the colours!

I must say, though, I'm really surprised about that amount of nice: after all one could not say you didn't integrate enough!

I agree about the NR, it looks a little washed out, like an oil painting. Other than that, I love the colours!

I must say, though, I'm really surprised about that amount of nice: after all one could not say you didn't integrate enough!

I've had another go at the processing to try ang get away with as little NR as possible, but which also meant not stretching the image so much. So the result is a bit more subtle, and with a lot less "blue noise".

Let me know if it looks any better, cheers! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=75016&stc=1&d=1323520593

post-18171-133877703906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uranium235