SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M1, The Crab Nebula (NGC 1952)

RobH

Hello fellow stargazers......here's my latest image of the Crab.....back in 2006 it was the first object I imaged so I do keep going back to it from time to time :)

The Crab nebula is the remains of a supernova explosion, the light of which reached the Earth in 1054 and was recorded by Arab, Chinese and Japanese astronomers at the time.

The remnant was discovered by John Bevis in 1731, and rediscovered independently in 1758 by Charles Messier and was designated M1 by him, it being the first on his list of objects that weren’t comets.

It’s 6,500 light years away and is 11 light years across. The central pulsar is about 19 miles in diameter and is spinning at 30.2 times per second.

This image is comprised of narrowband data using Hydrogen alpha, Sulphur 2 and Oxygen III filters for the nebula with some RGB star colour added from a previous image.

I didn’t go for the standard Hubble palette colour mapping for this. Instead, I mapped Ha to red, S2 to green and OIII to blue.

Imaged in November 2011 from Dorset.

Telescope. Celestron 11 inch Edge HD and AP 0.67x focal reducer.

Camera. Atik 16HR. Astronomik filters

All subs were 6 minutes unbinned.

Ha x 35, S2 x 21, OIII x 21.

Total imaging time. 7 hrs 42 minutes.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rob.

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture14716-m1-november-2011-has2oiii-master-1200.jpg

And a full size crop......

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture14717-m1-november-2011-has2oiii-master-crop-bright.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What focal length was that?

A hair under 2 metres Luke.

As with my previous image, the maximum sub length I could realistically go for was 6 minutes as I was using a guidescope and differential flexure started to show if I went above that.

Cheers

Rob

Beautiful Rob!

You have loads of detail which you really need the fl for, but as you say guiding at that length gets very tricky. I started gathering it at f10 with my C9.25 but with 20 min subs I figured it'd take the rest of my life to get the data :)

At least the C11 earned its keep :(

Tim

Thanks folks :)

I did an initial process in the Hubble pallete, but didn't really like the colours so switched the S2 and Ha around and this colour popped out....I rather like it and may well have a bash at the bubble using the same mapping (if I ever get a chance of course!!)

Cheers

Rob

Rob, the gob smackingly good HST image of this doesnt use the standard filters at all, and the mapping is all different. I cant remember it exactly but if you overlay the HST image over yours you see the mapping quite clearly. One thing that came out, IIRC, the Hubble uses an Oi filter for it and not Oiii.

If you fancy doing a mash up with my data I have hours and hours on this, at 1000mm, just shout.

That's interesting Tim....I just assumed that the HST images were what we all assume they are!! OI filters eh....where can one of those be had :).

Thanks for the offer...I may well take you up on that sometime, but at the moment, like you, I've got a bunch of data from Kelling to get through. If January's cloudy though, I'll need something to keep me out of the bar on off days when I go back on tour in February :(

Cheers

Rob

A striking detailed result at this Milkyway Icon. Thought 6mins would not be enough especially for S2, but it's all worked out nicely with some good star colour in the wider one.

John.

Thanks again all :-).

John....I too was surprised that 6 minutes unbinned caught so much, but it's actually quite strong in all bands....a rather energetic region of space I think!!

Cheers

Rob

Archived