Narrowband

Higgs - Bosson

On Newsnight tonight - CERN are to make an announcement on Tuesday that they have found evidence of the existence of the HB particle.

I hope so because I'm just starting to understand a little about the current theories of particle physics - I don't want to have to start again on a new theory :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to bet you 50 quid the higgs boson is never found!

Mass is the product of relativistic effects of virtual particles under extreme angular momentum.The force of gravity is an emerging force from a region of space time containing a large number of these particles.Mass does not curve space time, it is curved space-time that causes mass!

Mass is confined energy and energy is simply the momentum of particles in a particular direction.

A respected scientist from the Cern has told the BBC...
Gets evermore like the world of tabloid scandal... :) :)

But, following the (blog) paper chase from the above:

Higgs rumour anaylsis points to 125 GeV viXra log

2-3...4 sigma? Who knows? Yet... :(

P.S. The learned comments to the following are intriguing - Poetic, even? :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2011/dec/06/is-higgs-boson-real

Hi Darkstar7 a few questions for you,

What are these virtual particles you refer to?

Did Einstein not predict mass curves space-time and Eddington prove he was correct?

What 'confines' the energy as mass?

Are the Sun, Earth and Moon's masses a collection of relativistically affected virtual particles with extreme angular momentum due to curved space time?

Hi Darkstar7 a few questions for you,

What are these virtual particles you refer to?

Flat space-time has produces no force and no momentum. Virtual particles are produced by curving space-time in a particular way. Virtual particles are related to hiesenburgs uncertainty principle.

Did Einstein not predict mass curves space-time and Eddington prove he was correct?

I argue that curved space time produces mass. Ie The other way round.

What 'confines' the energy as mass?

Special relativity in relation to angular momentum. All momentum has to be bounded within limits. You are aware of speed of light, but all momentum has limits including angular momentum. You can not have an object spinning with infinite frequency, that is why photons form. Photons are packets of solitron waves packets that occur due to relativistic effects in the 5th dimension.

Are the Sun, Earth and Moon's masses a collection of relativistically affected virtual particles with extreme angular momentum due to curved space time?

Basically Yes, twisted space-time of Evans Field theory. Everything is made electromagnetic waves of different energies. With increasing frequency and energies-, space time becomes a photon solitron wave which becomes a meson boson, which which becomes a pair of quarks, which becomes a neutrino and lepton.

E =MC^2 Mass is energy, energy is momentum in a particular direction. Virtual particles spinning is momentum in an angular direction. Seems obvious to me that mass emerges from spinning spacetime.

Hi DarkStar7,

I am a little old fashioned in outlook in that if a theory is to be accepted, then it should be supported by experimental evidence.

Wasn’t the mathematics supporting the Evans Field theory shown to be incorrect.?

Where is the testable evidence to support your theory?

At least Einstein’s theory was supported by Eddington’s measurements.

There is no evidence for other dimensions, only a theoretical possibility, so all assumptions based on it are mere conjecture.

I find it a little unlikely that I am spinning space time, spinning makes me dizzy and I can prove I am not dizzy by walking in a straight line!

(Just to show all budding scientists should have a sense of humour).

Just curious then what those who don't believe in the Higgs make of this new announcement showing signs of the Higgs behaving and being located where they thought it would do/be?

And if it isn't the Higgs what is it they are looking at that supposedly behaves just like the Higgs should?

It's really about the immense practical difficulties of extracting experimental results. A vast chain of "hardware" that has to work, the calibration thereof, triggering (event selection) electronics that has to work, even before one impose the prejudice of software cuts, data analysis... and compares it with [supposed] theoretical prediction. :)

"Signal versus background", basically. Not totally unlike looking for a faint DSO in light-polluted skies. Is it there or not? Do you "see it" because you know it's "supposed to be there" from your star map etc. Or do you need a bigger telescope, a "longer exposure" etc. The LATTER in this case, I sense. :)

On Newsnight tonight - CERN are to make an announcement on Tuesday that they have found evidence of the existence of the HB particle.

I hope so because I'm just starting to understand a little about the current theories of particle physics - I don't want to have to start again on a new theory :)

BBC News - LHC: Higgs boson 'may have been glimpsed'

Going back in time in the VERY EARLY Universe, when the Temperature of the universe was equivalent in Energy to 124-125 gigaelectronvolts (GeV), what other particles would have been in the particle soup with the Higgs Boson and what would the interactions have been?

What physicists call "particles" are quantized excitations of quantum fields.

I like that answer, but quantized implies discrete does it not, is there room for smooth functions.

Waves could be continuous mathematically.

Are string vibrations, discrete or smooth?

Archived