Narrowband

How did you discover this forum?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve pointed me in the direction of the forum, I'm on the other one's UKAI, Cloudy Nights blah, blah.....But this one's the one I keep coming back to.

I met some of these guys last year at a star party in Wales..the weather was awful but it was one of the best weekends away I've ever had. A honest, decent genuine bunch and they can drink too!! :shock:

I was googling for something or other and it was obvious there were some real experts on SGL and everyone seemed very civilised and helpful. The others forums I was on were either deadly serious, moribund or spammed by nutters and one was - and is - moderated with an iron fist. SGL is the best I have come across and that includes microscope and wildlife forums.

• 2 months later...

I can't remember how I found you guys - probably googling after a few beers too many. But you seemed a more interesting bunch than some other forums, so I joined. This forum is the most friendly and helpful of several I have seen - so keep up the good work everybody - no question too daft, no image to bad to get some encouraging response - if only other forums were as active, helpful and downright nuts as this one.

Oh - did I mention that all Global Moderators now owe me a beer - for such shameless sycophancy :D

Tom

Steve pointed me in the direction of the forum, I'm on the other one's UKAI, Cloudy Nights blah, blah.....But this one's the one I keep coming back to.

I met some of these guys last year at a star party in Wales..the weather was awful but it was one of the best weekends away I've ever had. A honest, decent genuine bunch and they can drink too!! :shock:

If it's cloudy at your star party, what else are you going to do? The American SP I go to bans alcohol on the field, so we have to gather quietly in my kitchen tent to drink scotch. Bl**dy bluenoses!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was posting on Astronomy.com when I realised there were very few people from the UK on there, so I googled Astronomy on the 'uk only' button and found this place, never went back to the other forum.

I bought a mount off of Daz and he mentioned SGL to me during the transaction.. I came, I saw and I got well and truly 'absorbed'.

Without embarrasing anyone, I'd like to point out that I've spent a lot of time on many forums, not just astro related, and this is by far and away the friendliest and helpful I've joined. Offers of help for various things willingly offered by people I've only met in person once (not even once in one case) have altered my mindset about what a 'community' means over the web.

Although in hindsight, I actually first came across SGL when googling around for info on the Skywatcher 250PX and read Jim Lennie's excellent review.

Much the same as Gordon, I lurked for a while looking for review of the Celestron 6SE (which I then purchased used...)

It seemed like a friendly place to be and is not snobby about kit etc, which I like, and I feel comfortable asking daft questions here (sorry all...)

Hugh :police:

Wow!, this 'thread goes back a long way.

In my case, I saw SGL mentioned on another forum, so came over to have a look around.

I was pleasantly surprised, to find it somewhat a haven of peace and tranquility, in that contentious issues and 'mud-slinging' were very conspicuous by their absence (unless I haven't yet seen them).

Also, the forum actually majors on matters astronomical.

I think that being relatively small, the forum has a nice atmosphere (excuse the pun) about it, and certainly no evidence of any 'clique' culture.

Therefore, I came, I looked, liked what I saw, and decided to stay.

Dave

Archived