SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The race is on - GRS or Io's shadow?

FrankieValley

ahh glad to see someone else was on it too. Yes watched IO for about an hour mainly because I couldnt find any DSO's i.e veil nebula was non existant.

jupiter made up for it though. Io's shadow over the white spot - simply marvelous in the 12 inch dob

Io has cleared Jupiters disk now (just) but it's shadow is still over the western end of the Great Red Spot, which looks rather pale tonight.

DSO's will be a washout though because of all the moonlight in the sky. The "Jupiter show" has rather made up for that though.

Nice lighting on the lunar disk for spotting Plato craterlets as well.

Wow 1st time I have watched a transit....got the webcam on it hope I managed to capture it :)

This is my 2nd transit and first with the spot. Lovely :-)

Here was my first transit and it was also Io. Taken with SPC900. Hoping to do better this time -

https://picasaweb.google.com/103273140532065918082/Astrophotograhy#5512116173256534578

Here is some video of the same -

https://picasaweb.google.com/103273140532065918082/Astrophotograhy#5657802329467738610

Well, after 30Gb (4 segments) of video and almost 48hrs later I have one, yes, ONE image. All my video was shot with the BY8 codec (DFK camera) and that seems to have upset everything that I want to use to split or convert the video. It also seems to upset Rstax when I try to create an integrated avi. Lessons learned in the last two days:-

- don't do a meridian flip until the scope is going to run into the mount legs/pillar.

- don't use BY8 codec. Use Y800 (I hope that will be the resolution of editing problems)

- to select multiple frames from the Rstax framelist, select the first frame in the group, hold down shift and then DOUBLE-CLICK on the last frame in the group you require.

Anyway, here is the only image so far.....

post-29849-13387770358_thumb.jpg

Well it's a great image David and is a nice reminder of the events of the night before last - thanks for posting it :)

Thanks John. Lots more video to trawl through, but at least I know how to get Rstax to use a 'range of frames', because I can't split it or convert it having used the BY8 filter. Unfortunately, I missed the start of Io's transit and got to it as the shadow started the transit. I think the seeing was better at that stage, but there will be another exciting event. I really enjoyed the whole thing and despite the frustrations of post-processing, I have learnt a lot :-)

Looks way better than my 2 images I managed to mackle up :) They are pretty bad :(

Iotransit.jpg

Hi Celeste. I don't think they are bad at all. Far from it, they look very good. I started with the spc900 and I found it hard to control and wasn't really sure of what I was doing with the controls.

A barlow is very helpful, in my experience, best to keep to around about 4x amplification or less. I use a Telemate 3x barlow and then I stick another lenseless barlow in between the camera and the 3x barlow to act as a spacer. That gives me about 4x from reading the Telemate blurb.

Are you using a barlow?

Seeing is a major factor that will affect detail considerably.

I use 15fps or whatever keeps the gain low to keep down noise. I shoot for 1min 15s so as not to let Jupiter rotate too much.

I shot for ages on Wed and have just worked out how to select segments from the long videos to get some stacked stills.

Alas, my plan for a video montage seems to have failed with the codec I was using as nothing seems to like it very much. I suppose I'll have to get a series of stills from the video and make an animated gif or something like that. It'll keep me busy :-)

Archived