Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from East Anglia UK

Hawksmoor

Not new to star-gazing but have been inactive on this forum. As a boy, I aquired an interest in astronomy. Since I retired, I have been trying my hand at astro-photography and observing the night sky using my binoculars and Meade Mak and refracting telescopes. My local Council has changed its policy on street lighting, and after midnight when the street lights are extinguished, the sky is ablaze with stars.:)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome from a fellow East Anglian.

Intrigued that your council (which one?) is turning your lights off, as mine refuses to do so, and is even considering increasing the lighting due to many requests from paranoid local residents. As if anyone needs the lights on at 2 am!

Thanks for the "welcomes". The Council in question re "turning off the lights" is Suffolk County Council. I have to say that the motive was more likely financial rather than environmental. However, I did email my congratulations and sent a photo of the night sky from my backyard to the Chief Executive. I had a reply the same day and I believe my email is being used at a meeting in support of Council policy. Local politicians have received a substantial number of protests and petitions to turn the lights on. As a retired architect, I should not be surprised by the public reaction to environmental change, it is however disappointing! Hopefuly, the financial saving achieved through this policy will overwhelm the misplaced fear of burglary and anarchy and the belief that they are only kept at bay by the good works of Mr Edison. The irony is that the old folk on our street, who want the lights back on at midnight, are all in bed by 9.30pm.

Archived