Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live 2012

Nexus 6

Hi SGL, a notice regarding the live events coming next year.

In conjunction with The Waters Edge Visitors Centre and Far Ings National Nature Reserve Visitor Centre I am pleased to let you know that there will be an event with the local media and members from East Riding Astronomers plus North Lincs Astro with an evening of Stargazing and talks on Astronomy to be held on Monday January 16th starting at 7.00pm. We should hopefully be linking up with messers O'briain and Cox all being well.

The Waters Edge is about a mile from us at North Lincs Astro here ..... Waters Edge Visitors Centre

I hope some of you who live nearby may come along, of course the weather will play a part but lets hope its for the better and its a nice clear crisp night which will allow the many telescopes being taken along to be used by members of the public as well as the regular astronomy society members.

Anyone interested in finding out more can contact me via SGL or the North Lincs Astro webite for which there is a link below.

Best Wishes and Clear Skies! :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hampstead Observatory in north west London (usually only open on the weekends) is extending its opening for every evening, (unless actually raining!) 8-10pm from the 16th to 19th January to coincide with S.G.L.2.

Info:

hampsteadscience.ac.uk

Any members of North Lincs Astro who are thinking of coming to this please confirm here or send me a message, just trying to get an idea on possible numbers.

Thanks

I'll be there on the night Alan, will need some time off to get to the meeting on the 10th for volunteer helpers.

I'm hoping to attend for the first time. I don't have a telescope as yet - I've been reading up but still don't know what to buy. Any advice and guidance on the night would be helpful.

Hi Jammy, hope you do come along, if you wish to ask some questions on buying a telescope just ask away here or on the beginners section.

First question would be how much money have you got in mind and what kind of things do you want to see using one?

Hi Alan,

I have the 16th in my diary along with the planning meeting on the 10th which I will attend (work permitting). Let us hope the weather is kind to all of us planning to go out that night with clear skies across the uk.

Just found out today there will be free hot chocolate laid on by the centre, to keep

you warm next to your scopes

Its not just about going outside to view

Provisionaly there are 13 different activities for kids and adults so far

Plus one more guest that I invited that I hope will impress the imagers amongst you

There,s even going to be some nocturnal wild animals to see (if that kind of thing interests you)

• 2 weeks later...

One week to go with this...I have dropped in to the Waters Edge today to get a bit of detail for tomorrows briefing.

There is a fair chance this meeting is going to be swamped by the general public although, as with all events nationwide, it is dependant on the weather.

Lets hope we all get a decent night..good luck to everyone holding events in the days ahead and on the night itself. :(

a link to the Waters Edge are on our website in case you wish to find out more.

Best Wishes

Hi,

Just noticed that the BBC's Radio Times magazine for 14-20 January 2012 (cost £1.40 ) has a 4 page colour pullaway charts of the night sky, that can be used in conjunction with the Stargazing Live 2012 TV programmes next week.

The charts are printed larger than the 2 page regular charts in the Sky @ Night magazine and therefore a lot easier to use.

BBC have also done a wonderful graphic web section at BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Stargazing LIVE: Series 2 that will wet your appetite for the event. There are two guides that are downloadable as PDFs with a friendly printing option from the website. They provide a Welsh version as well.

Trust the skies will be clear early next week.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived