SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

orion nebeula

chunky

i swear i can see a faint green in it, or is it my eyes playing tricks on me

Human eyes are most sensitive to green light.

I only get a grey smudge - but then, my aperture's less than yours, and my sky quality probably isnt as good :)

I also pick up bluish-green tints, and some faint red, but only under good conditions.

glad to read I am not alone here Michael, have also on the odd excellent night in the past made out some faint hue's of red amongst the greenish grey tones.

Its a marvel no matter what and I never tire in observing it. :)

You guys have seen red green and blue!? Sounds practically HD :)

Seeing any wiff of colour would be the pinnacle of observing with my scope. I shall wait till the moon moves off and get a UHC filter too.

Clear skies!

I find the UHC filter brings out the colour a bit more (both the green/cyan and the hint of red). I see a similar effect in the Ring Nebula

I tried my Baader neodym on it t'other night - looked pretty good, even through the dodgy 10mm MA e/p and the deluxe barlow - swear I could see some hint of texture in the nebulosity - will look even better when I finally upgrade to a decent eyepiece (payday permitting :))

I tried my Baader neodym on it t'other night - looked pretty good, even through the dodgy 10mm MA e/p and the deluxe barlow - swear I could see some hint of texture in the nebulosity - will look even better when I finally upgrade to a decent eyepiece (payday permitting :))

I would ditch the Barlow first while observing M42. It does not need high magnification. Best views with my 80mm are with the 14mm (34.3x) and in my C8 with the 22mm (92.3x) (haven't tried the 31 under good conditions yet).

Tried a revelation 26mm 2" eyepiece with my Startravel 150 and could definately pick up the green in it on Friday night, it looked sharp and even imaged well by attaching a dslr to the scope to pick up the reds / purples on short exposures to stop trailing. The images arent great s they werent tracked but the colours are incredible :)

Archived