20" F4 dob on ebay

Adrian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW.... what can I say. Where's my chequebook?

I never understand though why people put starting bids so high, they misunderstand the psychology of buying / betting. Whenever I have a valuable and sought after item on ebay the starting bid is always 99p. It stimulates interest and more people buy into the game, so you get a higher final price... its not unthinkable that this will end with no bids, even though people might be willing to pay more than £700.

It's a difficult one. might be worth discussing with the owner and agreeing that the sale is subject to an optical report (at the buyer's cost). I bet you could get this done quite cheaply. I know someone who recently got Oldham optical to take an 18" f4.5 to 18" f5 and to 1/10 wave and recoated for about £800.

You could easily double check with Beacon Hill whether they did make this sort of thing back in the days.

I called them the other day looking for a Dobsonian mount and a nice chap which name escapes me chatted to me about the dobsonians he made in the past before the skywatcher days.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you got it. It looks like a Beaconhill piece to me. I would guess that it probably has optics from John Nicholl, which is no bad thing.

Sure did. Yes and yes. Picking it up Saturday.

I will probably have a night or two with it as is. Then convert it to a more portable scope, like a Kriege Berry design.

Regards Steve

Wow. Fine buy Steve. A steal actually.

I must say when I first clicked the link, and looked at the pics, I thought, 'mmm, nice, looks very Beacon Hill-ish'. Confirmed by reading the description.

I'm sure Barry Watts wouldn't have used a poor mirror.

Have fun and keep us all updated !!

Andy.

Archived