Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Butterfly nebula' reprocess

rocketandroll

Hi all

Ok, I hate re-posting old images, but it's only a month old and I feel I've learnt SO much about processing the last few weeks I should post a new version.

So... this is my image of the Gamma Cygni or 'Butterfly' nebula around the star Sadr in Cygnus.

This was my first ever guided image and consists of 20 X 6 minute subs plus matching darks and flats.

Imaged with the WO Meg72 + 500D combo on the HEQ5, guided with the Lodestar, ST80, EQMod/PHD.

The colour is WAY better now, much more red and less yellow... closer to how I am told it is supposed to look. Star colour is way better too.

Here's the new image:

post-23494-133877702121_thumb.jpg

And, for the sake of comparison given how little detail you can see on small images posted on the forum... here's a crop of a small area to the right of Sadr. My original version after 8 attempts at processing...

post-23494-133877702129_thumb.jpg

And my new version after 19 attempts :-) The key has been seperate star layers, luminosity layers and all manner of pfafing. I have lost a tiny bit of detail in the nebula, but not a lot... and the difference in smoothness and noise is WELL worth it IMHO.

post-23494-133877702141_thumb.jpg

Cheers for looking all!

Ben

Hi Ben.

Thats well worth a re-work,the colours seem much more natural now,although i may have missed your original post.

There is a lot of detail in this wide field image,amazing what can be taken with modest equipment.

The learning curve just gets steeper.

Nice job.

Mick.

Hi Ben.

Thats well worth a re-work,the colours seem much more natural now,although i may have missed your original post.

There is a lot of detail in this wide field image,amazing what can be taken with modest equipment.

The learning curve just gets steeper.

Nice job.

Mick.

Thanks Mick....

Yeah, I am very happy with the difference the extra work has made... enough so that I've submitted the latest version of the image to Hot Shots in the hope that my first submission getting published wasn't just a fluke :-)

It is amazing once you realise what can actually be dragged out of fairly modest data.

There is indeed a lot of detail in it. I'm REALLY impressed with the Megrez72 now it's got the WO flattener on it... the tiny pinpoint stars really speak volumes about the quality of the scope. That little NGC cluster beneath Sadr is now pretty sharp and you can easily count the stars in it.

I'm really looking forward to getting some more data on some new targets to use these processing techniques on now... if this darn weather ever improves!!!

Ben

Well good luck with the hot shots Ben,i,ll look out for it.

I,ve submitted one or two,but got nowhere.

Crystal clear to-night but blowing a gale.(Again)

Mick.

Yeah... I don't hold out much hope against the hundreds of awesome images I'm sure they get every month... but worth a stab :-)

And yes... been waiting two weeks already to get 1st light on my new Newt now... this weather is getting depressing now!

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks all.... Cheers for the comments Olly, really appreciate it from someone with your experience :-)

I have re-processed this image more than any other... about 20 times now. It is only now I'm starting to realise just HOW MUCH the processing steps you take, and the order you take them in can make SUCH a difference to the finished image.

This has been a hell of a first year, I'm only now starting to feel I can produce images worth sharing with the wider world :-)

I'm really fired up and ready for year 2 now though! Bring it on!

Ben

Archived