SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideas to mount Finderscope Please

Hi,

I seem to have a faulty SW 100ED refractor as last night the finderscope bracket screw carried on turning when I tightened it to attach my finderscope. The hole seems to have been drilled 0.5mm too large and the screw will simply pull in out & out with ease now! Not terribly impressed as only used the new scope twice, but heh. It'll get sorted.

In the meantime, I am after your help for ideas on how attach my finderscope....... well, more importantly, my finder-guider. Things to consider:-

1/ It can't harm the scope i.e. glue as it will be going back I guess

2/ It must hold the finder-guider very securely and firmly

3/ Not cost anything

4/ Be made from the stuff in my house or from Morrisons over the road (ok, can cost a £1).

5/ Take 5mins as it is supposed to be clear (albeit a bit breezy) tonight.

So far, I have tried a lash up using tie wraps but that was no good, as whilst it was secure, it flopped all over the place.

I have considered tie wraps and blu-tac and also tie wraps and lollipop sticks (what I don't have).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of that and it is exactly within the criteria I requested :-)

However, I discovered that looping a tie wrap through the offending oversized hole closed the gap perfectly and I managed to fulfil all the criteria too. I've used another safety tie wrap just in case the laws of physics intervene and things contract with the cold and my guider falls on the floor and then the scope points at it!

Anyway, I'm up and running. Thanks again.

My mum's solution to fixing anything was blu-tac. I'm sure it would have been self-adhesive velcro if it had been invented back in the day ;-)

My mount is covered in velcro to secure a 7 port hub, wireless xbox controller, EQDir box and various cable clips to stop tangles. Yes, I use it for camping mat dew shields also. Great stuff.

There's 3 mins of my life i am not getting back.

:) lol

drg35660, I'm glad you're happy with the suggestion. As we said, it's great stuff, and it sounds good too when you rip it - even in slow-mo!

ATB, good luck! Let us know how you get on..

Archived