Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for DSLR

Dellis

I've searched and trawled through pages and pages of the results on here and am not really getting anywhere. My primary interest is visual but recently I've taken a few widefield snaps, enjoyed the images and I'd like to improve my results so I need a mount for my DSLR, a Canon 500D. My question is will a RA driven EQ-3 be sufficient or should I consider something else?

Dave

I asked the same question a few weeks ago here,http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/163127-mount-dslr.html the general consensus is that the HEQ5 is the minimum to start with.

I read your thread and my understanding was that the HEQ 5 was more to future proof yourself rather than a requirement for a DSLR. I want a mount just for my DSLR and I thought that if an Astro Trac was sufficient then an EQ 3 should be able to cope? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Dave

If you don't attach the DSLR to a telescope or a telephoto lens, you don't really need a HEQ5. Keep your focal length below 50mm and you should be able to get a few minutes.

Astrotrac is a totally different mount to a EQ3-2 and this is reflected in cost. Astrotrac has greater load rating and the PE on the Astrotrac is much lower than traditional GEM thanks to the screw drive. Astrotrac claims 5 arcsecond error, that's in the Tak, Astrophysics and Paramount territory. If you can afford an astrotrac, go for one rather than a EQ3-2.

I've used an EQ1 for an SLR mount.. It works if you keep the focal length short enough, and is good for 2 minutes approx. Go up to an eq3 type mount, you should be much better off. As with Keith though, if you're budget wills stretch to an Astrotrac, get one of those instead.

Mmm the Astrotrac does fit the bill very well.... But back to my original idea which was to buy a used EQ3 with a single axis motor, attach my EOS and try to get some roundish stars. From what's been said I should see some decent rersults with the EQ 3 and if I feel the need I can pass it on and go down the Astotrac route at a later date - I have to admit that I do like the portability of the Astrotrac.......

Thanks for the pointers

Dave

I think you are spot on with your thinking Dave. I have used an ancient Vixen Super Polaris with a DSLR and it works very nicely, although I've only used lenses up to 135mm and 2 min exposures. Sub 50mm and I think you will only really be limited by your polar alignment.

I think you are spot on with your thinking Dave. I have used an ancient Vixen Super Polaris with a DSLR and it works very nicely, although I've only used lenses up to 135mm and 2 min exposures. Sub 50mm and I think you will only really be limited by your polar alignment.

Thanks Martin - now all I need to do is wait for the for sale section revamp and I'll start hunting.

Dave

• 1 month later...
I've used an EQ1 for an SLR mount.. It works if you keep the focal length short enough, and is good for 2 minutes approx. Go up to an eq3 type mount, you should be much better off. As with Keith though, if you're budget wills stretch to an Astrotrac, get one of those instead.

I like the astrotrac idea. What else do I need? How do I position the camera in line with my subject?

Pardon me. How do I get to the specific place in the sky I want to photograph with let's say a 150mm, 200 lens?

If you go for the Astrotrac, you will use a tripod head of some sort for camera positioning. You point the camera in the same way you'd normally point a tripod mounted camera. All Astrotrac does is apply rotation in RA to compensate for Earth's rotation.

• 1 month later...

What do you mean "if you keep the focal length short enough"

What is short enough?

For just a DSLR body and shortish lens, the EQ3-2 with an RA drive will be fine.

I got this exactly this week (CG4 and dual motor drive)for my DSLR , but it seems I need some type of adapter for the DSLR.

Also, isn't this kind of too much only for a DSLR? The CG4 is really heavy and cumbersome to move.

Archived