SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone recommend a star diagonal upgrade?

I am currently upgrading my eyepieces at the moment (one expected to be under the Crimble tree) but was also wondering how much better image I would get by moving from my current standard Bresser diagonal to say a William Optics Carbon Fibre Dielectric diagonal.

Budget is between £50 and £70.

Anyone used this or have any other bright ideas?

P.s. this is for use on a F5 5" Achro-refractor, which already gives pretty sharp images.

Cheers!

Nope, solid as a rock :)

Cool. Do you use that diagonal you reference above Mr Spock? How does your diagonal attach to the back of the C9.25? Just screws in? Then you either pop in a 1.25 EP(with adapter) or a 2". Simple as that? Is it a palaver swapping between the two sizes?

The quality of fit an finish of the Revelation diagonals is in a completely different league from the ones supplied with the scopes as standard. Both the 2" and the 1.25" fittings have brass compression ring fittings and are precisely machined as is the rest of the construction. Obviously you need to remove the adapter before dropping in a 2" eyepiece but it's really no trouble. The main trick is to remember where you left the adapter in the dark !.

Cool. Do you use that diagonal you reference above Mr Spock? How does your diagonal attach to the back of the C9.25? Just screws in? Then you either pop in a 1.25 EP(with adapter) or a 2". Simple as that? Is it a palaver swapping between the two sizes?

I do have this diagonal and it is excellent. Mine is a 2" push fit because my C9.25 has a 2" visual back fitted, but you can get them with a SCT thread. Your refractor will need a push fit type.

I don't find the swapping difficult. My deep sky eyepieces, the 42mm, 22mm and 17mm are all 2". All my planetary eyepieces are 1.25" - I just pop in the adapter then whatever eyepiece I need. Simple :)

I have the Baader Clicklock, but as I understand things, as long as they are a dielectric mirror, they're all as much of a muchness really.

I do like the clicklock though.

Hi Double Kick Drum,

I have the following 2" diags :-Bresser, Meade *2 , Meade UHTC *2, Revelation Quartz. To be fair there is not a huge difference between them. I do however prefer the Revelation & the UHTC Meade.

Cheers

I replaced my stock Skywatcher 2" 90% reflectivity one with a GSO 2" 99% quartz dielectric. I haven't even done it for the increase in light troughput, but more because of the fact that the GSO has a brass compression ring and the Skywatcher stock one doesn't, meaning the screw scratches the metal barrel of an ep. Doesn't hurt it optically but the thought of a 17mm Ethos's barrel being scratched by a cheapo diagonal made me cringe so I replaced the thing. I think Skywatcher (and anyone else, for that matter) should stop manufacturing diagonals and focusers without compression rings. They add a lot to the product and adding it doesn't up the production price by a large margin. My stock SW focuser is driving me crazy when I have to rotate the diagonal. A compression ring would help matters so much I'm thinking of replacing the focuser based on this alone.

I chose the GSO diagonal because it was available locally, looks great, gets great reviews and doesn't cost that much. The 99% reflectivity, quartz mirror and dielectric coatings don't hurt, especially for longevity of the part, though your eye has to be very trained to detect a visual difference by the gain in reflectivity. There is some but you really have to swap them in rapid succession to notice any kind of a difference.

At any rate, very happy with the GSO diagonal. Very good build quality, you can tell it's a solid piece of hardware from the moment you unbox it. I love the 1.25" adapter too, they've done a simple but effective mechanism that attaches it.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the revelation 2" diagonal include the SCT screw adapter to connect to the SCT VB? The WO version includes this. Can't decide whether or not to go the revelation route or the WO. The revelation is 27 quid cheaper.

Steve

No. You can get an SCT specific version of the Revelation diagonal though. Or you can use an SCT to 2" push fit adapter use the standard push fit diagonals with your SCT. If the WO diagonal includes both fittings then thats probably a good deal for an extra £27.

Archived