Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

JimFR

Recommendations please !!

I'm in the market for eyepieces - I want to improve upon my experience given by the bundled eyepieces (scope details below).

not sure how much to budget, but I don't want to go above £50 per e/p, and that might mean I only get one.

I've looked at (but not tried) the Skywatcher Plossls, and the meade 4000, but I'm not sure which is best for my scope - also bearing in mind that I may upgrade that too at some point !

Have a look for the BST Explorers. They seem widely recommended and are in your budget.

hmmm... three different people say the same thing...

might be a goer !

I like the sound of the 8mm - that gives me 125x with the barlow - good exit pupil / eye relief ?

anyone recommend a dealer ?

I'll throw in another vote for the BST Explorers. IMO they're a hair off the Baader Hyperions for about half the price and 1/3 the weight.

Hi

I will give my vote to the Meade 4000 and I still use them for planet viewing and a few other things, I find then very clear and crisp they are 52 FOV and easy to use and at £29.00 a bargain

Doug

I like the sound of the 8mm - that gives me 125x with the barlow - good exit pupil / eye relief ?

anyone recommend a dealer ?

1.25" Eyepieces

Here you go Jim, they do a try before you buy option as well.

. IMO they're a hair off the Baader Hyperions for about half the price and 1/3 the weight.

Are they? I don't think so.

Are they? I don't think so.

I do. :)

I do. :)

dunt bother me how close they are as long as they don't approach the hypo's price, and they are quantifiably better than the dodgy e/p's skywatcher bundled with my scope :)

out of interest, how much better are they than those ?

I don't know how to quantify how much better one eyepiece is than another. Even the best ones don't actually show you things that the basic ones can't - they do show things more crisply, with more contrast and less distortions. The differences in performance tend to get smaller as the price rises so a £400 eyepiece is only a very little bit better than a £200 one - but astronomers tend to be fussy about these small differences :)

Edited by John

The BSTs seem to be winning lots of friends. At £41 they do appear good value.

I'm in the process of upgrading myself. I've reckon that eyepieces are like wine, I can tell the difference between a £5 bottle of plonk and something that costs £20. I can't tell the difference between a bottle that costs £20 and one that costs £50. I'm going to try the the bst's out!

It's worth trying the odd £50 bottle when you can though, just to see :)

Lol! More of a thunderbird and stellar sort of bloke really! (I just pretend to be posh on the internet) :)

Only problem being £70 is a lot to spend on wine for an evening just to see how they taste :)

Oops almost missed my contribution... I have the 15mm after reading a couple of threads here and found it gives me much clearer views of Jupiter than my 9mm (bundled!) Celestron. Thinking of getting a shorter one now. My scope is almost f12 though :)

i have the 8mm bst and think it is great well worth the money cant fault it

All BST's should work well at f/12, I wouldn't go any higher than the 8mm though as you have enough magnification in the scope focal length.

Thats it then, I'm decided !

I was looking at the 8mil anyway, as 100x isn't quite enough on jupiter and saturn in my poor skywatcher bundled jobbie :) I'm not keen to go beyond that, though cos of eye relief, etc..