sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

New Scope!! Skywatcher equinox 80

Hi everyone, my skywatcher equinox 80 just arrived home from Teleskop express.

It was nicely packed, and the travel box that followed with the scope was nicely wrapped in foam or something. I was not so happy about the travel case, it did not seem very secure for such an expansive scope and will modify it as soon as i can.

The scope itself was actualy quite heavy (2.9 kg), at least heavier than i thought. The black telescope shined back at me as soon as i lifted it into the light (it is very bling bling).

The focuser (Probably the thing i love most about the scope) is VERY nice. There are 2 focusers in one. One that goes fast and one that goes slow. It spins very smooth and i love spinning it for fun! :)

Anyway there are also some things i dont really like about the scope. For example not being able to focus onto anything. I first tryed on a street lamp a bit away from my house. Could only see some light but not the actual lamp itself. I then tryed the moon, which was a bit better than the street lamp but still didnt get a real focus. I just saw a big white disc with no detail. Same with trying to focus stars. Nada ;)

So im kinda stuck now. What to do now? Could it be because i am not using a diagonal? Suggestions are greatly apprichiated!;)

-Lukas

post-26256-133877701198_thumb.jpg

post-26256-133877701206_thumb.jpg

post-26256-133877701214_thumb.jpg

Edited by AstroLuke

I think you will need a diagonal to bring astro objects focus.

PS: and a finder too, unless you already have one.

Edited by John
Alright so its the diagnoal that causes the problem ;) Good to know.

Yea i have one already ;)

Yes you will need a diagonal to bring it into focus as it is designed for imaging so the tube is shorter.

The focuser is the weak point of this telescope. I struggled to hold the weight of the field flattener and a DSLR even when the tension was tightened up.

Looking at your case mine was far more padded. it is precut soft foam not the firm foam used in this one.

Edited by MjrTom

Just received an ED80 Pro and that's beautiful in all respects ;) :- First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

Great with the supplied diagonal and 28mm EP ;) Also with DSLR with the supplied adapters. For my webcam (Philips SPC900NC) I needed an extra extension tube (used a Barlow with the lens removed) to get focus. Only tried it on terrestrial objects so far. Raining tonight so won't see any celestial objects :)

Had mine about 2 months (From Opticstar)- I'm sure you'll love it. I have a similar case but the interior foam on mine is, as MjrTom says, more substantial . Perhaps the European ones are different (yes - I know the UK's in Europe but you know what I mean)