Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

The For Sale Section will Return in 2012

I dont buy or sell on SGL myself,but i know people do,and its a fine way to buy excellent kit at reasonable prices.

Especially in todays climate where people are a bit strapped for cash but still want to persue this fantastic hobby of ours.

Great decision by the gaffers though!;)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the forum structure allows a minimum number of posts/month to be included in the access rules, this would ensure posting enough for access is not a one off excersize. The chore of continuing to post regularly would put off those who are not what SGL is about.

That sounds like a good idea if you can make it work I think it would keep the traders at bay

And thanks Admin it will be great to see the for sale section back:hello2: I have used it a couple of times and always love looking there even if I'm not buying anything

brill.... i always look at a persons profile if i want to buy something , not being nosey just like to see who i am buying / selling to. its nice to know what groups ther in or society there have joined and what scopes/ interests they into, and like to keep in touch.. and you can tell who the traders are..... good luck with the ongoing decisions

Very happy itis coming back to although increasing the amount of posts could effect members like myself who aren't prolific posters but are quite nice really! ;)

Very difficult one this! Having said that, I will support any change that helps.

I really value selling and buying from other members as I have always found them trustworthy and fair.

I always check the seller out first by looking at their profile and posts to see that they are a genuine SGL astronomer..This has always worked for me..

SO I suggest a little widget that automatically appears on each advert showing a little pen picture of the seller with time on the forum, posts and which forums they post on...then you can choose who to buy from..

Mark

Mark

Really good news, I am not a prolific poster and I was a bit miffed to have the old section removed just as I qualified! It's interesting to note quite a few comments about buying or selling to other bona fide members being important, in the past I have given quite a lot of kit away to genuine people and derived some satisfaction from doing so. It's such a shame that a mercenary few have made it difficult for the rest of us.

Hi - the is good news. I'm really grateful to the mods for working so hard on this. One idea - how about two for sale boards, split based on the value of the sale.

Say, if the value of the item is up to £30.00, the old rules could apply. For items over £30.00, which would include premium eps, mounts, scopes, imaging equipment, a more stringent set of rules could be set. Say, a minimum of three months membership, plus one hundred (or more) posts. There could also be a requirement to continue to contribute to the equipment (other than the for sale boards) or the observing and imaging boards.

This might be far too complex to administer, but some variation on these rules might not be too onerous.

Thanks one and all.

Ed

Glad to hear about the return of the For sale section.

My suggestion would be (if the forum software allows it) to limit the number of things that each member could buy/sell. Say You can only buy one thing in a 2 month period and sell one thing every 2 months. Guessing that this would be OK as most of us don't buy/sell that often. This would have the benefit that the Traders would be restricted in what they could buy and It prevents some users snaffling up all the bargains.

Another thought is that the number of posts made in the for sale section per year could be reported alongside the user name. Anyone with a high number of posts would soon be spotted as a trader.

Edited by JohnC64

It is excellent news that the "For Sale" section will return in some format. I have bought and sold several times over the last few years and would miss this section terribly.

I look forward to seeing the new section early in the New Year.

Mike (Veracocha) - a good quote earlier in this thread, but perhaps a bit over the top - nobody died, thank goodness. Also, listened to a couple of Veracocha tracks and didn't see you as the type to "bop" to that. You are a dark horse. : )) Perhaps see you at the next CSP bash.

Tom

Edited by Albireo380

Hmmm,

50 posts before access never sounded unreasonable to me.

By the time you've made 50 SGL posts, hopefully you've a better idea exactly what it is you're buying :)

If "traders" are a problem maybe some sort of feedback system would be in order?? to give folks & mods an idea of who's using the section a lot & "trading"??

Only bought one item off SGL, but very happy with it.Thanks- you know who you are!

Some good ideas, let's get something worked out soon. I have used the buy/sell a number of times both ways and found it very helpful, to lose it would be a loss to the community. As mentioned, if you identify people who you feel are bending your terms then have a quiet word and in the worst case ban them. A traders section would be useful, other forums have a tag on peoples dis that label than as a trader or working for a specific retailer. There are tight rules on what and where they can post to keep things fair and even.

All the best

Peter

Mike (Veracocha) - a good quote earlier in this thread, but perhaps a bit over the top - nobody died, thank goodness. Also, listened to a couple of Veracocha tracks and didn't see you as the type to "bop" to that. You are a dark horse. : )) Perhaps see you at the next CSP bash.

Tom

Tom, reading the "where's the For sale" thread you would have thought WW3 was going on.

Carte Blanche - Veracocha, the greatest track thet ever came down the pike.

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if these comments 'clash' with other responses, but a couple of thoughts.

I don't know what stats admin have access to, but if you can view how many posts members make on each board, can you easily view what proportion are on the 'for sale' board and block those over a certain percentage? (Of course then you have to decide what is a reasonable percentage!)

As regards the seller publicizing who has purchased, I personally would be against that on the public board . If, as a private member - non-trader - I make a purchase, it is no one's business but mine and the purchaser's.

I am not sure anyone could be classed here as a private member... this is afterall a public forum. however the for sale section is a private area is actually the most private part of the forum

Edited by CGolder

As a new member, part of the reason I joined was to have a look at what was for sale and to hopefully buy from a knowledgeable group of people...disappointed its not available to me yet, but glad its coming back hopefully soon. I'll now be buying elsewhere so your own members are losing out on a sale :)

Not sure what the value of having a specific post count means before you can buy or sell, there are many decent people out there who enjoy reading stuff on their chosen forum to improve their understanding and pleasure but maybe don't have te confidence to continually chatter on what can be a deep topic at times. Why should it matter if they don't post too often or keep up a required rate, must they join in conversations they do not want to just to be able to buy :)...I really can't see the logic there. Not everyone wants to talk to the internet but I bet you'd rather have a sale to a low post count person than no sale...

Just my 2penneth.

Perhaps a question asked of all new applicants to the forum : are you intending to buy and sell secondhand Astronomy equipment and accessories for profit ? quite blunt, but to the point. Perhaps buying and selling could be limited to so many items per person per month, this would put the cap on anyone buying add lib, if there was a special case then a check with admin could clear the issue, this may pose difficulties in monitoring, sellers and buyers may have to wait that bit longer at times, but it could discourage traders.

Having bought and sold for reasonable, AKA cheap, sums , will be very glad to see it restored.

Would it not be possible to ask buyers to sign a promise that should they sell any item purchased from the section and make a profit on reselling, that profit would be donated to charity.

Could you inform us of the trader who has breached the trust that has been evident in all my dealings in this section?

Thanks to all those involved in the running of this forum, civilised and genuinely helpful, yet very amusing at the appropriate time.

Is there a way to apply a weekly or monthly browsing time limit to the section.

Surely the genuine purchaser has a good idea of what they are looking for whereas the trader must spend most of his/her time constantly refreshing the section looking for the bargain.