Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The For Sale Section will Return in 2012

The For Sale section will return ;)

We are still working hard downstairs to establish the best format and entry requirements. There is much to consider!

Some have suggested we simply open it, allow free access to everyone then leave it unmoderated. That is not the SGL way. You deserve better. Ideally the section will be accessible only to members who are active on the open forum. They are the forum's bedrock and have posting historys so you will have a better idea who you are buying from or selling to. But where to set the access requirements? Clearly 50x posts and one-month membership is not enough because traders have been snapping up bargains intended for members and we have seen people joining SGL with no intention of posting anywhere other than the For Sale section. But, if we set it too high then beginners will miss an opportunity to enter the hobby at a reduced price. We might opt for two For Sale boards, one available only to active/established members and another more easily accessible board where beginner scopes and equipment can be bought and sold. Whatever the format, the solution must be manageable for SGL’s ADMIN and Moderators. SGL member's wishes and requirements are hugely influential but we must also consider those of our Mod team.

Anyhow, we are close to a solution.

Thank-you for your patience and understanding and for being part of the UK's largest, most active and fastest growing astronomy Forum ;)

SGL ADMIN

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the 50 post & month membership should be raised & anything

sold the buyer should be named by seller Sold To (kris h) ,

a beginners for sale thread is a great idea that should be 50 post &

month membership to access good scopes for good prices to get people

started in Stargazing .

SGL ;)

Great news, well done admin and mods! :-) Am treating myself to an upgrade over the festive break, so will be parting with some kit in the new year which I would love to be able to offer to SGL members first.

P.S. Anyone else notice UKAB&S's new profile fields? Convenient timing!

That sounds a grand idea of having two for sale boards, but how would you decide who can post using the senior board so to speak...

The discussion is still ongoing but if we take that route the entrance requirements could be based on the number of posts and number of months membership, as before. Together they should ensure only active members have access. The second board could be a place where members who have upgraded can offer their beginner scopes and eyepieces for sale. If it has easy access then beginners will hopefully find a bargain after posting their questions in the forum. We are hoping traders will not be interested in beginner scopes and lack the patience to reach the requirements necessary to access the main For Sale section. We won't please everybody so we are focusing on the most deserving ;)

We should stress the 2x For Sale sections idea is only one of a number of options being discussed.

I like the idea of a beginners sale section. I know a lot of members like to pass on kit as they upgrade. More seasoned members just like to change direction from time to time.

It's also a good idea to make naming the buyer compulsory. If a trader does slip though they will soon be noticed.

Anything that makes life better for the mods would be welcome. I know how they feel having spent 5 years as mod for the largest Windows customization site. When I started I was warned a number of mods had 'burned out' due to the level of abuse they received. Nothing could have prepared me for some of the e-mails I received... I even had people follow me to other sites just to have a go.

I look forward to seeing what ideas come forward. Hopefully things will be much better for everyone.

Excellent news. Have stayed out of this debate entirely so I didn't add to the problems!

As a thought, if you are going to split the for sale sections, the one for active members could require a nominal number of posts in relevant forums to maintain access after the 50 posts, 1 month entry. Something like 5 posts/mth maybe? Might just encourage participation and discourage traders. Should probably exclude welcomes, the lounge etc.

Just a thought

Stu

I will be glad to see it return for sure. How about, instead of trying to block the traders, giving them their own section where any item they offer cannot have been purchased from the site but they could still advertise for gear they are looking for so if people want to sell to a trader they can do it knowingly. Sometimes the best way to fight an enemy is to create an outlet for them.

I think we all appreciate the work you guys have put into this. I like the idea of a beginners section, especially as new stuff when you are starting out can be expensive and it offers a route into astronomy with not much outlay.

Second, from my point if i have eg. some prized out of print books which can be sold on for a big profit, i am happy to sell to someone cheaper at cost i 'know' who will get a good deal of pleasure from.

Good luck, andrew

The discussion is still ongoing but the entrance requirements could be based on the number of posts and number of months membership, as before. Together they should ensure only active members have access.

Is there anyway of monitoring where they post as well, or what content. Most true active members will post propper content in several sections, the 50 post count in it's old standing could simply be 50 comments (one worders or non-related comments) in one section (the lounge for example) just to increase the count. I would also like to see some way for the vendor to check that he / she is selling to another member. We've seen in other posts claims that members "tipped off" other members who would otherwise not of been able to view the board. Having said that, I don't think all vendors were that worried as some appear to of had "a sale is a sale..." approach.

Anyway, I too am glad to hear the Admin team have agreed to reinstate the for sale section in the new year.

For my twopennyworth - All sellers should have to declare that they are either private or trade in the advert. Anyone misleading with that information should be banned and the ad removed. This should be in addition to any other rules and regulations.

OR

If you wish to advertise to sell you must first create a "sellers" ID (ie a new forum account) that is authorised/moderated by admin and can only be used to sell on the forum and cannot post/comment anywhere else. It would be linked to your "normal" forum name so buyers know who they are dealing with. Any breach of the rules and bye bye in the usual way. Admittedly a slight overhead for Admin but surely far less than they have to contend with in the old system?

Archived