Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomers. Men or Mice?

geordieskies

If my recent experience of attempting to sell a telescope is typical then I'm not sorry to see the removal of the For Sale section. I had 2 members interested in my telescope before the section was removed, after more than 20 PMs the first party agreed to buy and agreed a price only to pull out the next day. The second party did not turn up at the arranged time to view the telescope but promised he'd be there the following day. The following day a PM arrived instead telling me he wasn't going to bother. Both of these people had my mobile phone number but chose to inform me by PM.

Astronomers, men or mice?

Bitter? Me? never!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for your lost 'buyers' I'm afraid, but I am very telephone-shy, and have been all my life (and I go back way before the era of mobile phones and e-mail!). In similar circumstances, if I'd had your mobile number, I'd probably have sent a text. Immediate, but less intrusive than trying to ring up someone who may be driving or otherwise unable to answer.

Hope you have better luck next time you try to sell!

seems the way of the world at the moment! People can't seem to handle talking anymore, it's all email and text's!!

We were off to Manchester on Sat to see our new puppy we had reserved until we got an "email" yesterday saying they were keeping one for themselves and the other 2 had gone to friends!!

I think impulsive is probably the best description - I have a habit of chasing my next acquisition only to be brought back to Earth with a bump by the other 1/2.

That said on a friendly forum like this the ill feeling and conflict that a sale gone bad can bring about is probably not worth it. I have to say I think I agree it's for the best.

I can only say the folk who I have met through buy & sell have been a pleasure to meet. I think the world is lacking just a bit of common courtesy sometimes.

Also lets not develop this thread into the buy \ sell saga. Give the mods the space they requested.

And all astronomers are men\women until S\H-WMBO puts their foot down!!.

I fear this thread may be removed, it wasn't meant to be about the For Sale Section as such, more about the way some people these days don't really think about the consequences of their actions. It's too easy to fob somebody off when they're faceless/voiceless. Maybe it's just me and my "old-git" mentality. :-)

Not unusual to be telephone-phobic? LOL - But I "steal" myself. Not opining on the status of the SGL for-sale section, but have found myself wittering upto 20min later with fellow members. It's handy (courteous) to check availability of folks by PM (whatever) though? I just feel more comfortable too... ;)

Once tried to sell an eyepiece on another site - The questions got ever more bizarre, as the day progressed: Was it "As good as a Nagler" - "Did it have a serial number" - "Was it suitable for Microscopy"? (sic!) A sale was agreed, but he later came back to say his "wife" had vetoed the arrangement... ;)

Although single, I must remember the last one. :)

I fear this thread may be removed, it wasn't meant to be about the For Sale Section as such, more about the way some people these days don't really think about the consequences of their actions....

It seems OK to me - it's commenting on general buying behavior - that could be encountered whichever means you use to sell ;)

I wonder if some folks put their dibs on something quick and only then consider if they really want it when they hear back from the seller ;)

I wonder if some folks put their dibs on something quick and only then consider if they really want it when they hear back from the seller ;)

I do wonder if this is the case... not happened to me... I'm usually the other way round - I sit and think and ponder about if the item will get used, do I really need it, do I have the money etc etc etc

By the time I get around to deciding that I want it - it's almost always already gone ;)

Ant

I must have been one of the lucky ones. I only purchased from other members but all the transactions were pleasantly carried out and i was informed when the items were posted etc as i had i requested.

Just the way of the world i suppose, some good people and some not so good.

I do understand some people not wanting to be intrusive, but the old saying " treat others how you would have them treat you " seems to be less relevant in too many cases in this day and age.

Thankfully it seems the majority of users on this forum are top guys and girls and i for one hope it continues to be this way.

I'm pretty laid back about people pulling out.

Sometimes the universe only offers people their ideal purchase after they've put an offer in on something else, and as far as I'm concerned the sale isn't done and dusted until both the exchange and a reasonable cooling-off period have occurred.

That having been said, I wouldn't allow myself to be put out by a prospective purchaser: That means no shipping abroad, no unusual payment arrangements, and no travelling to obscure places to do the exchange.

I generally will not sell or buy unless I have spoken to them on the phone.

I just sold my MN190 via another site and insisted I spoke to the buyer directly to

a. Ensure they were real and not a scammer

b. They knew what they were buying and actually wanted and could cope with it.

c. Build trust

After a good chat, the sale was agreed and we will meet next week 1/2 way (hour + drive) to do the deal. No way would I agree to this without direct contact.

My 2 pennies.

I for one would be sorry to see the end of "buy and sell".

Me too, but there are other places to buy and sell and it didn't stop me from selling.

If SGL brings it back, great, if not then that side of things I will use other sites. SGL is the best for discussions and other Astronomy stuff.

I agree with haitch, the feeling and conflict of adverse situations is not worth it. BTW, I don't think the title of this thread looks sexist, I did however think of John Steinbeck ;)
I think Robert Burns was the original.;)

I've been an SGL member for just over 18 months and doing astronomy for about 15 of them.

I've used the For Sale section heavily for both buying and posting up wanted adverts. My most recent sent PM was to someone last week who posted in the 'Wanted' section to advise him of a possible item for sale. Just helping out.

Likewise, when I wanted some solar paper - a kind forum member sent me some for free.

Neither scenario is likely to occur on AB&S (which I've also used for buying and selling).

I've met some really nice people through the For Sale section and also found it pretty useful for trading items between us regulars (say those who post >500 posts per year).

I've also posted up items at super-duper low prices (including having sent free bits) through SGL that I wouldn't dream of doing on AB&S. And I've also bought items from people selling for low prices here too. It helps to know when something is going to a good home, or will be used for the benefit of the hobby, or others, or simply just to make friends and participate in a community.

Never had a problem at all and I miss it. If it's gone, it's gone but I do think that it's also not fundamentally workable to 'ban' sales between forum members; sales that don't have anything to do with SGL, and by logical extension - what would be wrong with putting some 'wanted' items or 'for sale' items in a forum signature? Just a thought.

Clear skies everyone!

It's not just astro stuff, I have recently had a nightmare selling a car. I've had one guy win an auction on ebay and then turn up and want to pay less, people emailing me to say when they will call me and never calling or calling and arranging a time to come and look at the car and never turning up. The worst was a man who I think was just lonely who kept phoning to discuss the car but really I think he just wanted to chat to someone. It's just people being people. Sold it in the end though.

It's not just astro stuff, I have recently had a nightmare selling a car. I've had one guy win an auction on ebay and then turn up and want to pay less, people emailing me to say when they will call me and never calling or calling and arranging a time to come and look at the car and never turning up. The worst was a man who I think was just lonely who kept phoning to discuss the car but really I think he just wanted to chat to someone. It's just people being people. Sold it in the end though.

Had that rubbish on the bay as well selling a car. The bloke won the auction and then when he came to collect the car he tried to haggle with me.

Told him the price was the auction price, take it or expect bad feedback (at the time you could)

People eh ?

Archived