SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Visiting London

Pat Dunne

Hi All

I will be visiting London mid December for a weekend and I am hoping you can give me a steer on the good astronomy shops that I could drop into while the commander - in - chief is off doing the real shopping. Will be based in central London.

Many thanks for you suggestions in advance.

Personally I found the staff at "The Widescreen Centre" very amicable, friendly and also knowledgeable.

Their prices are not always the greatest but unlike some they have a shop just off Baker street to pay rent on, and not just mail order only.

I have only been there twice to buy some TV bits. But they matched telescope house for price who were cheaper than everyone else.

The shop is pretty well stocked and if nothing else its worth a look around if you are going near it.

Regards Steve

Yes, I'd steer clear of Widescreen as well. Overpriced and, in my experience, unhelpful!

That's very unfair indeed. I have found them to be extremely helpful and gave me some good help and advice recently regarding my latest purchase with them regarding the Skywire cable which connects the iPad/iPhone to the scope so I can use the SkySafari software. They were the only ones at that time to carry the Skywire cable at that time in the UK whilst others were ordering from Southern Stars in the USA. Let's be thankful we have at least One decent outlet in London as they certainly are far and few between.

It's not unfair I'm afraid, it is the truth. My EXPERIENCE of them is that they are very unhelpful. You can't argue with experience!

I would steer well clear of them, there are much better retailers out there who will give you time and help.

When in London visit the Science Museum (look out for the telescopes by Herschel and Nasmyth, and the mirror from the Leviathan), and Greenwich Observatory. Plenty of opportunity to spend money in either place.

Cheers Guys, will drop in for a look see.

Thanks for the other tips might head down to Greenwich, was planning on spending some time in the Science Museum as we're staying in Kensington

All the best Pat! I hope you enjoy London..it's a great City! Bon Voyage :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Guys for all the advice, had a very enjoyable time in London over the weekend with visits to both Greenwich and the Science Museum.

However I wish I could say the same for The Widescreen Centre. Having called into the shop with the express intention of buying myself a christmas threat, I found a particular staff member's approach to customer service to be extremely off hand and arrogant. Needless to say I left the shop without any purchases along with the sworn intention not to do business with them in the future.

Ditto

Ditto - overpriced, unhelpful and didn't have the courtesy to reply to emails about 2 separate items totalling £4000! Sorry but this is getting a bit off thread now so back to London.

London - I detest the place as it's overcrowded, rude, dirty and arrogant. This country seems to live in a London-centric universe and I avoid it at all costs. In particular I don't like the "British" Museum and wish it would stop stealing all the artifacts it can find such as the Lindisfane Gospel, Sutton Hoo items, Harris chessmen etc and return them to whence they came.

Oops - 3 knockings in one thread is that a record :).

Londoners are only rude and arrogant to the 'country yokles' who keep cluttering up the place, staring open mouthed with fingers in their ears at 'elektrickery'.

If you don't like it so much, stay away. It's no skin off Londoner's noses! :)

I do stay away. We have 2 conferences a year - the summer one is always outside London and the winter one is always in London. I never go to the winter one.

As for 'elektrickery then the countryside is a net inputter (wind/hydroelectric/nuclear/gas/coal) of it (as well as food, water and oxygen) compared to London that sucks it all in and spews out CO2 and sewerage.

At least I have peace, quiet, open roads and dark skies.

I do stay away. We have 2 conferences a year - the summer one is always outside London and the winter one is always in London. I never go to the winter one.

As for 'elektrickery' then the countryside is a net inputter (wind/hydroelectric/nuclear/gas/coal) of it (as well as food, water and oxygen) compared to London that sucks it all in and spews out CO2 and sewerage.

London - I detest the place as it's overcrowded, rude, dirty and arrogant. This country seems to live in a London-centric universe and I avoid it at all costs. In particular I don't like the "British" Museum and wish it would stop stealing all the artifacts it can find such as the Lindisfane Gospel, Sutton Hoo items, Harris chessmen etc and return them to whence they came.

Oops - 3 knockings in one thread is that a record :).

I don't think an astronomy forum is the place for this sort of thing.

Archived