Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lit up Stonehenge

Scosmico

:icon_confused: I have just heard on BBC radio that English Heritage is examining the possibility to put electrical bulbs around Stonehenge to make it more "appealing" to tourists.

I can't believe that people still thinking like a 19th century person that wants to light everything " because it is nice".

It is a disgrace to pollute Stonehenge, made for Astrology/Astronomy, with artificial light.

BBC News - Should monuments be lit at night?

Go to BBC site and leave your comment!

Would seem little point. It isn't exactly in the middle of a town or city So isn't the type of place that illumination would cause anyone to wander over to look at.

It is basically miles out of anywhere and the only real way to it is along the A303.

Throw in that the place is closed pretty early in the evenings so seeing it lit up wouldn't mean anything unless they were going to run evening/night tours of the place. Which is doubtful.

Just cannot see a reason to do so.

If you go to Stonehenge it has to be during the day, at night you cannot get in so look at from a distance or drive past it. People know where and what it is, so if they want to visit they go, it doesn't need illuminating.

Best view I ever had of Stonehedge was on a full moon with the moon just above it. Would have like a photo but the A303 just isn't wide enough to stop there.

Yeah light it up - it's a great idea!

I'm sure Mickey, Donald and Pluto would be happy to show you around.

To be serious, Stone Henge is a national disgrace, only in the UK would we treat such a site with such contempt. Get rid of the A303, and get rid of English Heritage - I have twice been treated to rude and ignorant E H staff when showing friends from overseas around. So forget the lighting and just employ some people who know how to be welcoming and polite.

Yeah light it up - it's a great idea!

I'm sure Mickey, Donald and Pluto would be happy to show you around.

To be serious, Stone Henge is a national disgrace, only in the UK would we treat such a site with such contempt. Get rid of the A303, and get rid of English Heritage - I have twice been treated to rude and ignorant E H staff when showing friends from overseas around. So forget the lighting and just employ some people who know how to be welcoming and polite.

Here Here you've said it all, although believe it or not some EH sites are manned by pleasant knowledgable folk who actually have manners. unfortunately Stonehenge is not one of them, it is a last bastien for the 3rd Reich :icon_confused:

Here Here you've said it all, although believe it or not some EH sites are manned by pleasant knowledgable folk who actually have manners. unfortunately Stonehenge is not one of them, it is a last bastien for the 3rd Reich :icon_confused:

I live near Stonehenge and every time I drive by the thought of English Heritage makes me expectorate - sometimes without opening the window!!

As a member of the Peak Dark Skies project it just beggars belief that we can waste energy in this way

Aren't EH the same jokers that managed to get Park Hill flats in Sheffield as Listed Buildings? (plus the boat load of money thrown at it

Steve

Lighting a monument is fine.

Lighting the sky up for several miles around it is the problem - something which English Heritage often has a habit of doing.

Although, with Stonehenge, I'm not sure who would be visiting it during the night anyway. Surely most people get there during the day when it's open?

Besides the sky my other main preoccupation is 'megalithia' - I clicked on this thread to rant but have ended up simply nodding along with most of the posts above. Maybe EH could just open 'our' site to us rather than illuminating it?

Unless they firmly believe that, 3,500 years ago, torchlit displays there during the Winter Solstice marked the beginning of that fine British tradition, 'Ye Illuminated Yuletide House'?

How many tourists visit it at night in the dark?

Not many i wouldnt think.

That's what I wonder about the floodlit cathedral we have plonked on the top of the hill here. All it does for most folk around here is let you know there's about 15 miles before you get home.

That's what I wonder about the floodlit cathedral we have plonked on the top of the hill here. All it does for most folk around here is let you know there's about 15 miles before you get home.

Look up the "The Church Floodlighting Trust". A few years back, churches were actually given grants in order to set up floodlighting for them.

Archived