sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Maxim and dithering

swag72

When I was using my DSLR and Maxim, I was controlling both through Maxim and so I was able to dither. At the moment I am using Maxim purely for guiding and Artemis Capture for the exposures. I had a look last night, but it looks as though you can't enable dithering on Maxim if you use another capture programme.

Is this right or have I mised something?

I may well go back to Maxim for image capture when I am more comfortable with the camera - I am struggling with power issues at the moment and so all is not well!

It looks like you have a similar setup to me, I've finally got to grips with most things in Maxim (bar one). I would try and get capture working as it makes things much easier than having numerous items of software open as you're never sure where the problem lies when something goes wrong.

I use maxim for capture & guiding, so I don't know the answer -- other than to say that I've never come across a setting which would allow this. It seems like it would be very problematic though. How would Maxim know when to dither if it doesn't know when the camera exposure is finished?? Presumably artemis would need to send a signal to maxim to say the exposure is finished, and then maxim send a signal to artemis to say "guiding's stable, you can expose now".

If you really wanted to, I guess you could fake it by setting up a "simulator" camera in Maxim, and doing the same exposure lengths on that as you do with the real camera in artemis. Then, in theory, that would give you a way to synchronize the dithers in maxim with the artemis exposures. Sounds like a pretty unfeasible solution in reality though.

Probably easiest just to get capture working in Maxim...

• 2 weeks later...

Nebulosity and PHD is one way around this, or Maxim for capture/dither... I have tries the former with the SX cameras and it works..I too use the art capture software though, mainly as the sequencer works so well