Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrology, astronomy,... You've GOT to be kidding right?

stolenfeather

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then if you are still testing the science, must we assume you have not yet disproved astrology? Otherwise, are you not wasting your time on something that has already been settled?

I know a fair bit about Geocentricism, does that mean I've not ruled out that the Heliocentric model isn't correct?

The fact is, and this is what the actual thread is about, we meet people all the time that think this guff and if we didn't have the evidence against and for then the debate might lean the other way.

Strangely, it was the subject of yesterday's Infinite Monkey Cage. Go listen and it will answer your questions. Assuming that you don't have an axe to grind on the subject.

My point being, despite the fact we all know it is guff, we seem amazingly keen to keep talking about it, raising it's profile, and swapping tales about what star sign we all are. No axe to grind, just amazed how much air time we seem to give the subject. Best way to eradicate theory is to stop talking about it. Much like we have done with the Geocentric Model. Then again, I suppose I am not helping the topic die, so I will shut up.

For people who claim to hate astrology so much, you all seem to know quite a lot about it ;) just saying :rolleyes:

You're surprised by this?!? There's near-endless media coverage of this nonsense, from tabloids to radio programmes to TV journals. We were brought up with Astrology columns in pretty much every newspaper known to man, and even I, cynic that I am, used to read them purely out of curiosity when I was (much) younger. The main difference being; I knew it was codswallop... the worrying aspect is that a great many people let it dictate their lifestyles and habits. :icon_confused:

For people who claim to hate astrology so much, you all seem to know quite a lot about it ;) just saying :rolleyes:
I know very little about it, to be honest. I know that there are twelve 'star signs' - not 13, even though the astronomical ecliptic crosses thirteen constellations. I know that there must be a connection between this number and the ratio of the lengths of the year and of the synodic month (the actual ratio is about 12.37). I know that my astrological 'star sign' is Aries - despite the fact that the Sun was nowhere near the astronomical constellation Aries on my birth date (it would have been in Pisces). But that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I have absolutely no idea what sort of 'personality' that detail endows me with. :icon_confused:

Any Scottish Sun readers will be aware of Frank Pillock,oops sorry,Pilkington and his Astrological ramblings every Tuesday.

I think its about time the public,especially the astronomical community actually took time to read these gems of literature.

If you 've been having a bad day then this should cheer you up no end,i havn't had such a laugh since Frankie Boyle left Mock the Week.

Just have a gander at this suave,sophisticated,yet deeply mysterious expert.

I am not responsible for the accidental wetting of any under garments

Frank Pilkington in the Oracle | The Sun |Video|Scottish Sun Exclusive

I have to agree with Ivor here. With the media making sure that it's all over the place, we can't help but react about it. I was looking for a new astronomy app for my tablet and ,.. do you know what came out? ASTROLOGY!

"Get your daily horoscope sent to you" it said.

I find this annoying just as much as clouds when it comes to astronomy.

Do we post about clouds because we know "so much about it" or is it simply because we all share a common annoyance?

Isabelle

Scorpio is a terrible sign to be born under, here's what I read about my "starsign"

Scorpions are horrid creatures and should be stamped on

January to June.. You will be stamped on

July to December.. You will be stamped on.

Our Advice to Scorpios, try changing to a decent sign, like Harvey Nicks

Give me a telescope, not a Horrorscope everytime

"snickers"

Archived