SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrology, astronomy,... You've GOT to be kidding right?

stolenfeather

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have to admit I when I first started viewing the sky, I went straight to my good old Taurus constellation, but for some reason I am completely engulfed in the magnificant Orion. there is something about that constellation that draws me to it every time I look up. Granted still new to it all, but been concentrating on looking at the ecliptic and the southern sky for now before I turn to the northern sky.

0430,Like you, Orion captures my passion no matter how many times I look at it. The Orion nebula is always a place I stop for a view with my telescope. I promise no matter how many times you look,...there will always be something new to fill you with wonder! Clear skies!

Isabelle

Please see below

"Me to Sainsbury's lady: 'Do you have any astronomy magazines?'

She replies 'Only Soul & Spirit', :rolleyes:... nooooooooooooooooo"

She then went on to say they don't stock them because it's not that popular a subject to bother having magazines on the subject............

Red mist rising & that's because I'm Scorpio!:icon_confused:

LOL:hello2:

Good post Isabelle - made me laugh.

I have to admit I don't think I'd be as polite as you. The sad continuing belief in superstition points to a huge flaw in our education system in my opinion. Ancient people can be forgiven for believing such things but in the 21st century we really should know better. I think my response would have been something pretty blunt: something along the lines of "Yeah but that's all utter rubbish isn't it".

As for the Chinese I'm surprised not least because they're using western astrology: why aren't they using the Chinese zodiac if they're gonna be all superstitious? And the symmetrical breasts required to join the civil service!!! Both totally wrong and bizarre.

We've been here before. Take care folks, there are a lot of people out there waiting to get into an argument (and I don't mean the 10-minute sort)!

I believe there is some credibility in something called the 'month-of-birth-effect' or similar, claiming a correlation between the season you were born and your prospects in life. After all, it may well make a difference whether the first few weeks of your life were spent under baking hot sun or in bitter snowstorms...

Maybe less so, now that most of the Western world is 'civilised' and have central heating in their homes... :icon_confused:

But far more relevant to the modern Western world, of course, is the effect on your performance at school. Certainly, here in UK, where the academic year begins in September, your results are likely to be significantly different if you were born in September/October, and are therefore near the oldest in your school year's intake, than if you were born in June/July and were hence nearly the youngest. I'm sure the teachers and educationalists amongst us are fully aware of this!

Maybe you could have said you were an Ophiuchus and that Astrologer's charts need a little bit of updating. :rolleyes:
I always laugh at the chutzpah of the early astronomers who, entirely out of malice and spite, chose to put thirteen constellations along the line of the ecliptic, hence messing up all the duodecimal leanings of the astrologers. Proper Judas's they must have been!
As for the Chinese I'm surprised not least because they're using western astrology: why aren't they using the Chinese zodiac if they're gonna be all superstitious?
I was born in the Year of the Tiger - if that's of any relevance to anyone. GRRRRROWL!!!!!! ;)

Yes, the period a person is born definitely has an impact on the educational path of a child. I was born in November so was clearly more mature than many other children when my "academic life" begun. The stars themselves? Did their alignment make a difference? Are they influencing me right now?

Well,.. I have to say that when it is -30 and not one cloud in the sky,.. I do have the uncontrollable urge to face the winter cold with my telescope! So yeah,.. they are indeed influencing me today. :icon_confused:

Syntarsus, I believe that being "nice" wins a lot more bonus points in my direction. If I am curt with ignorance than they can easily dismiss my opinion but if I am respectful,.. doesn't it make it harder for them to brand me as irrational or that my opinions absurd?

"Ha! Don't mess with me", I tell myself. "I'll grow on you!":cool:

Isabelle

An astronomer is an astrologer who discovered that the stars really had no bearing on how we live ...............

They affect my life, the morning after a clear night I always struggle to get out of bed for work in the morning!

Paul: The Aries has spoken! Ha! You haven't met the scorpio have you? Ha!

My mother just says that I like stars. To this many comment, so who's your favourite actor / actress? Oh man,.... Maybe I should have stuck with birdwatching.

That's something that affects us all Pug. I make my way outside even in the -40's. I have an unstoppable urge to go outside and suffer from frostbite. It's all the stars fault! They told me to do it! I swear they did!

Isabelle

I have enjoyed this thread Isabelle. I have smiled and laughed all the way through it (except where I grimaced) - could my two track approach be due to being born in June (Gemini)?

I have heard that being born in June meant I was amongst the youngest going to school and University. Certainly it took the fright of a resit at the end of my first Uni year to make me grow up a bit and start working hard (I was a very young and green 17 year old when I went to Uni). The fright must have worked as I ended up with a PhD - so my birth month didn't hold me back too much.

I often have members of the Public (at Astro Soc outreach events) asking me about astrology and star signs. I always have to remain polite (although it is a strain sometimes). I try to explain the difference between facts and make believe (in a nice way). It usually doesn't work.

Like several people on this thread, I just keep going back to Orion time after time - I can look at M42 for ages as there is always something that I hadn't noticed before.

Tom

I'd love to see M42 through the eyes of your "beast" Tom. Even with my humble 10", I always find something new as well. I'm happy you liked the post. For my part, I simply needed to vent with "like minds" non this subject. It is instances like the one I have described above that I realize how misunderstood I am to my friends and family. There are many times I feel like screaming, "You don't get it do you?" but I remain silent.

It's okay,.. I don't "get" the passion behind making miniature cupcakes either.

Isabelle

I'd love to see M42 through the eyes of your "beast" Tom. Even with my humble 10", I always find something new as well. .........

It's okay,.. I don't "get" the passion behind making miniature cupcakes either.

Isabelle

"The Beast" gives fantastic views of M42, it blows me away every time. But your 10" should be pretty good too Isabelle.

As regards cupcakes .... I like eating them, so perhaps some of your cupcake baking friends would take pity on a hungry Scot and send over a couple of dozen. :icon_confused: I will happily provide feedback on their baking skills.

Tom

I must admit to feeling slightly (?) devastated recently, upon discovering that one of my past-heros, Frank Dunnery; ex-It Bites frontman, singer, guitarist, songwriter... is now conducting astrology seminars. :rolleyes: It really does make me look at him in an entirely different light.

A very negative one, to be quite frank.

Sorry. :icon_confused:

We've been here before. Take care folks, there are a lot of people out there waiting to get into an argument (and I don't mean the 10-minute sort)!
Each thread has it's own... flavour? Sometimes folks (me too) don't exactly "cover themselves with glory", in so-called forum debate! LOL. But I sense I was not the ONLY culprit that time. In fairness too, folks do also exchange "conciliatory" (nay whimsical!) PMs, after threads have been formally closed. Perhaps why I was persuaded to stick around... for now. Disagree - perhaps, but I am certainly NOT "waiting to get into an argument" - Here or anywhere else. Heck, I abstain. You may speak freely etc. etc. :icon_confused:

I must admit to feeling slightly (?) devastated recently, upon discovering that one of my past-heros, Frank Dunnery; ex-It Bites frontman, singer, guitarist, songwriter... is now conducting astrology seminars. :rolleyes: It really does make me look at him in an entirely different light.

A very negative one, to be quite frank.

Sorry. :icon_confused:

You likely feel as I did when I saw Iggy with a spitting image puppet advertising car insurance.

*Sniff*

Archived