Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrology, astronomy,... You've GOT to be kidding right?

stolenfeather

IMG_1148-1.jpg

It happens every get-together,... Someone turns to me and says something like, "Is it true that Leos and Capricorns make a good match?" I usually stare at them blankly and then answer with a short respectful laugh, "I have no idea,.." To this, they usually respond, "Oh, I thought you knew stuff about stars".

Yeah, I know stuff. NOT that stuff.

My mother told me when I was young that I was a Scorpio, that they were known as head-strong and could be quite difficult to live with. Is that why I am insulted to the core when someone asks me if I can help them create their own "star chart" based on their astrological sign?

I shouldn't take it too personally since in archaic times, both astronomy and astrology were one of the same "creatures". Today, since the age of reason, astronomy is seen as a means of understanding the universe based on the scientific method. Those bit by the telescope bug, like myself and those reading this, investigate everything beyond our own atmosphere. Astrologers on the other hand use the position of the constellations to make connections between their starry orientation and life on earth (such as our psychological make-up / making predictions of future events).

Okay,.. so I can make predictions too. I know that the next full moon is on December 10th, that Jupiter will shine brightly for many weeks to come and that we will soon witness a glorious display of the Geminid meteor shower on December 14th. Wait a minute,... Scratch that last part, a gibbous moon (waning) will most surely blanket the sky in light making the "grand display" a lot more subtle. How all of this will alter our psychology or help you find that significant other,.. I have no idea. Personally, I would like to add: If you're waiting for the stars to "tell you what to do",... your chances of finding Mr. / Mrs Right might be slim.

Where is this post coming from? I was invited to a supper last night where a huge discussion sprouted about astrological signs. Of course, mine, Scorpio, was labelled as one of the "most evil signs of all".

In response to their accusations, I stated that this particular constellation held the beautiful star Antares which had a reddish orange glow not unlike the planet Mars. One being a super giant star while the other our rusted planetary neighbour. I enthusiastically added that Scorpio held many wonderful deep sky objects to look at through a telescope such as open / globular clusters. So, how could such an interesting constellation be so bad?

Now, it was their turn to stare at me blankly. To think, I ruined a perfectly cloudless night sky to attend this social event. Sigh!

No, no,.. I do enjoy their company and had a wonderful time. The supper was meticulously prepared and many laughs were shared.

This morning, as if right on cue, I saw the following news article: Click HERE. Scorpios not worth hiring? Sigh,... Man, they're all out to get me.

Isabelle

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been accused of being bull headed, or was that bald headed?

It would be nice if star signs encouraged people to learn the constellations of the night sky in order to know where the sun was when they were born. That makes more sense to me than reading a tabloid newspaper to find out how their love/work/money/other life is going to go that day. But hey, I refuse to get wound up by some people being a sandwich short of a picnic.

I have been accused of being bull headed, or was that bald headed?

It would be nice if star signs encouraged people to learn the constellations of the night sky in order to know where the sun was when they were born. That makes more sense to me than reading a tabloid newspaper to find out how their love/work/money/other life is going to go that day. But hey, I refuse to get wound up by some people being a sandwich short of a picnic.

If they learned the ones when the sun was when they were born they'd discover that they've drifted to the next so the signs are wrong, then they'd realise what a load of balls it all actually is.

Up till now, I have smiled respectfully and have invited them to my house for a romp around the stars. Some have come and have become acquainted with something deeper and more fulfilling than their sign. One by one,.. they will understand.

If not,... then let them remain in ignorance.

Isabelle

I feel your pain. This doesn't happen to me too much, but when it does I tell them point-blank that there have several very large analyses conducted on tens of thousands of people and no effect of any sort has been found. There is absolutely zero evidence for anything. I then tell them that for any given astrological sign on any given day there are hundreds of astrologers all of whom are saying different things. So how can it be right? You can 20 different people the same astrological forecast but changing the sign name (even though all the people have different signs) and all will think it's a good match for them. I could go on but I won't. There is so much good evidence out there: Google it. Next time they start at you, just bash them over the head with reality.

Next time they start at you, just bash them over the head with reality.

You know, I could do that but find that those that adopt such a stance usually guard themselves with blinded passion. I can show them facts till I'm blue in the face but prefer just to smile and nod. Those who come to my backyard are welcome. As to the others, may they wallow in their ignorance!

Isabelle

I've always thought of astrology as nonsense but there are some who take it seriously in surprising places. Quite a few years ago I learned (I worked for the Government back then) that there was a budget put aside within the HM Treasury for "professional" astrological advice relating to financial planning (seriously !).

I was so shocked I wrote to Astronomy Now magazine to raise it as an issue. Sir Patrick Moore, who was part of the Editorial Board of AN back then responded to the letter that he was just as amazed and my letter and his response were published in the magazine.

I've not heard any more about this so presumably its either stopped or been hidden in other budgets now :icon_confused:

I've not heard any more about this so presumably its either stopped or been hidden in other budgets now :icon_confused:

Let me get this straight. They stopped this budget due to your interference and thus no-one in the treasury saw the credit crunch coming....I think you have a lot to answer for John :rolleyes::evil6:

I agree that there is not much point stating the facts to people who trust astrology - much like conspiracy theorists in that way. Best to just show them what's up there.

Isabelle, that's so true! That amount of folk I've met who still confuse the two - and look at me blankly too once I've pointed out their misunderstanding. It reminds me of what Arthur C. Clarke once said - "I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical"

Really John? A budget for Treasury for "professional" astrological advice? Well at least that nonsense helped you being published in the Astronomy Now magazine. I wonder if the professional forum predicted that? :icon_confused:

Yeah Adrian, I have had a small number of friends actually join me on my balcony and I showed them around. It was nice to be part of their "awakening". The others? Nothing I can say will ever make them change their minds.

Isabelle

Sometimes you will be surprise how ignorant some people are even in this modern age. Clearly science education in schools need improving.

I'm really surprise firms in China would stop hiring people based on western astrology, I thought they believed in Feng Shui.

Archived